Gothmolly

hard to get boost, but once its there, oh boy?

Guys thanks for all your advice - the car has been off the road while I sort out the legal issues. I drove it today and had a chance to really flog it - here's what I found:

At 2000-2500 rpm, hitting full throttle brought a nearly instant 10-12 psi boost.

At 3000 rpm, hitting full throttle brought a nearly instant 14 psi of boost (and climbing).

On the highway at 70mph or so, moderate throttle brought it up to about 5psi of boost.

I guess this is normal? The "problem" that I continue to have is that it seems like you need almost full throttle to get boost.... or is this normal, and I'm just used to a different car?

Its the way the charger is. Its a screw charger so produces more boost as it spins faster, this is the reason we also fit smaller pulleys to them.

Should still pick up well on half throttle though. What gearbox do you run?

Stock transmission as far as I can tell. There's a definite spot on the throttle where I get about 5 lbs of boost - but very little below that, its almost like it goes 0 to 5 then at more throttle goes to 10-12, and then climbs with RPM.

Id suggest trying an sns antilag chip and see if it helps the pick up any better then.

Stock transmission as far as I can tell. There's a definite spot on the throttle where I get about 5 lbs of boost - but very little below that, its almost like it goes 0 to 5 then at more throttle goes to 10-12, and then climbs with RPM.

sounds normal

Thanks again guys. I have the SNS stage5 chip installed, so I'm not sure the "lag" I feel is related to that, or just the way the car drives. The torque curve of the Golf TDI is just very different I think. The G60 pulls like a monster from 4k up to redline.