VR6Rado

Passenger side main beam not working!

Hi

Please can you give some advice on my defective lighting?

I've just changed both headlight units for new ones. The original passenger side reflector was dull so I thought this was the problem with dull lighting on that side.

However, whilst the driver's side lights all function perfectly on side, dip and main beam, the passenger side isn't.

Passenger side shows side lights fine, dipped beam is less powerful than driver's side and when I put main beam on, no main beam on passenger side and the dipped beam becomes weaker! The only other observation I've got is that both main beam bulbs have a faint glow whilst dip is on.

I've refitted the old units without any change, swapped bulbs between the new units so am stumped. Is it a voltage leak on passenger side, bad earth etc? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Matt

Thanks - anywhere in particular? It looked reasonably sound, found a bit of water on one twin wire connection in the cavity where the lights go.

Alternatively, would the relay upgrade here fix it?

Paul

Hi Matt

Thanks - anywhere in particular? It looked reasonably sound, found a bit of water on one twin wire connection in the cavity where the lights go.

Alternatively, would the relay upgrade here fix it?

Paul

yo im also from guernsey!!! also have a vr6!, recently had my headlights apart seen the main bulb bit is actualy 2 bulbs linked together by to wires in the back, have you checked the connections of these for corrosion??

It sounds like you have the same problem I had earlier this year just before my MOT was due. In the end I got an auto-electrician. The problem with mine was in the loom somewhere behind and underneath the airbox where the cable had gradually been rubbing against a part of the bodywork and eventually the insulation had worn away leaving the metal cable touching the bodywork. Easily sorted but I had lost my patience trying to find the fault hence the auto-electrician.

Have look at the brown wire on the left side loom for a break at or near the lamp unit connector. The brown wire runs into the loom and into a common earth further back.

Disconnect the connection at the headlight and see if it lines out to the battery earth.

(Put my headlight loom under the airbox in a clear plastic tube, saw that one coming many years ago).