TanVr6

Help - refreshing number plates!

Hi all, Needed some help guys! Decided to refresh my number plates as they are water stained n too common!

I hav bought pressed plates from dubmeister, and some surrounds from edition 38!

Changing The rears were simple, taken off old, screwed surround in with new screws n washers to make it snug, and inserted the plate, whacked the strip on at the bottom of holder n looks great.

Now the problem is the front, the gap for the plate is too small for the surrounds. So I have to stick the plate straight on to the paint, which I'm a little hesitant as I might be changing the plates at shows and Iv got my eye on a private plate (2012 wishlist)

Your advice n tips guys?

Can I use double sided velco strips or do ihave to use the double sided adhesive number plate pads from halfords? N rip the plate off when I do change it next year?!?!

I'd suggest trying silicone sealant from a DIY shop (the big tubes you use to seal around a bath - but get the clear version). Hold it in place until it dries a little. When fully dry a few hours later it will stick very well indeed. But when you need to remove it a firm prise away will release it and the residue will peel off.

Hmmm

Would that work? I thought sticky pads or screws would be my only option?

Well it depends how heavy the plates are and how much surface area you can use to stick them on. But it's worth a try as it will be less destructive than glue pads or screws. You'd be amazed how strong it is once fully dry. However your problem might be putting them back on after a show; the silicone does take a long time to fully dry.

I have used velcro for plates before, and it does the job just fine, though the obvious down side is that they are easily thefted!!

yo, dont waste your time with glue or sticky pads, glue = sticky mess,stickey pad= they normaly fall of when the weather gets hot,

drill holes and use nice show worthy skrews, something with a nice head!! and just mark the holes on your other plates and drill em!!

All done. Just got bk from a long drive

Hitting some high speeds and plates are still on! I think. :s

Will post up pics later today!

i use the double sided foam strips you can buy at most small garages/petrol stations, they are called number plate adhesive foam strips.

they have never fallen off and i only have two holding rear plate on. They also easy to remove with fishing line behind the plate and using a sawing action to cut through the foam

Sticky pads for me too. If you want show plates as well, you could stick a couple of neodymium magnets in (I use five strips oriented top-bottom per plate as they come in sheets of five, so stick a magnet in the centre of sticky pads 2 and 4 - the foam will compress more where the magnet is so it won't stick out) and then epoxy a couple of matching magnets to your show plates. Get the alignment right and they'd look just fine. They do stick like the proverbial though so you'd have to want them to stay put :D

Stone

I've just fitted the pressed plates to mine last weekend and fitted the Autohaus number plate surround so I can easily change to legal plates, but I was able to get the plate holder to fit the front bumper without too much hassle, just drilled two tiny holes and fixed the plate holder to the body work.