vw_john

Why is my car overheating!!

Because the rad wont kick in. its a 91 g60

its all worked up until recently, have changed the bolt in temp switch in the rad. any other ideas?

- Fuse 19 (30 Amp Green) on the fuse / relay plate OK?

- Pull the connection off the radiator thermoswitch. With a meter, check 12 volts on the Red wire (not the two striped ones) to an earth point on the car. OK?

- If 12 volts on the Red wire, take the connector at the radiator thermoswitch, bridge the Red wire connection to the Red with white stripe wire connection. Does the fan run?

Now bridge the Red wire to the Red with Black stripe wire. Does the fan run?

- Disconnect the fan connector. Put a meter on the Red with White stripe wire in the loose Fan connector and set meter to measure 12 volts to earth. Bridge the Red to Red with white stripe wires at the thermoswitch connection. Got 12 volts?

- Next, reconnect the Fan connector. Remove the wire bridge connection on the Thermoswitch connector. Take a wire from the battery positive and connect to the Red with white stripe connector connection. Fan run OK?

Do the same again only connect the 12 volt battery wire to the Red with Black stripe. Fan run OK?

- Take the fan connector off again. Check the Brown wire makes circuit with the battery earth.

- If still no fan, take the thermoswitch and rig up your meter to bridge the same two connections on the thermoswitch as above for Red to Red/White stripe and hold the switch in the top part of a pan of near boiling water. You should hear a ping and the meter show there is a circuit (This may take a couple of minutes to happen). OK?

---------

Along the way, one of these checks will fail. That will isolate where the fault is in the fan's electrical circuit.

Edited by RW1

Wire the fan directly to the battery, if it wont kick in theres the fault. Try the fuse as these are known to fail, and check the wiring if you have disturbed it.hth

A night back I wired my Spal fan to its own relay mounted in the bay.

Removed the fan from the fuse box loom and wired it directly to the bat via a 40amp relay. Fitted an Awesome supplied Neuspeed low temp switch and amazing it still won't trip the fan.. I have had 3 G60's and all the fans have had this problem.

Yet if you bridge the connection the fan spins up a treat!! Oh its a slim line SPAL fan.

So now its back on the dash mounted switch but now atleast its via a good relay.

Gutted I was. I'd love to see that fan spin up on auto pilot.

No idea why the 60 is so troublsome with its cooling.

Right, i bridged the plug from the rad got the two speeds out of that, so the fans working... however when i bridged the black temp sensor nothing happened, shouldnt the last fan stage come on then? also where is the aux water pump? i cant hear any whirring when the car is turned off. all wires are intact as far as i can see. im stumped!

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

how can you tell if the aux water pump isnt working and would this stop the car from running the rad fan?