guildmage

fuel pump, filter, relay.. few questions

Hi,

My Corrado started to show it's paws... here's the story:

After work did my shopping and was driving back to home (doing maybe 40ish mph). Suddenly I felt like a drop of power, my first reaction was that I may put wrong gear or something. Car like "jumped" a bit, so I depressed clutch, and tried if it's definitely on 3rd gear (and it was) so I released slowly the clutch and car felt bit erratic again "like it was was choking". I slowed down, put on the 2nd gear and ... it all went back to normal. Tried shifting on different gears and all was good. Got scared but had no more issues on my way back home (another 1-2 miles).

When I stopped and waited for my entrance electric gate to open I heard like "buzzing" from the back of the car. I parked on my spot and there was quite loud buzzing which was coming out of the rear wheel area (driver side). Car was still idling, engine was running fine but the buzzing continued. I switched off engine and pull the key out. Then put the key back again and twisted it, and again I could hear that loud buzzing noise. I tried to start the car, and it started but felt like it's loosing power and is just about to die. So I turned the key and switched it off. Decided to to my research first and look at it it the morning.

Now it looks like it is either the fuel pump, fuel filter or fuel relay...? anything I could have missed? It seems pump is working as I can hear it priming after turning key.

One thing worth adding is that this is the first time my fuel tank is fairly low on fuel.. it's not on red line, but it's below half the tank for sure. Not sure if it makes any difference thought.

My car is 1996 N'reg 2.0l 16v, any idea what would be first plan of attack? I will try in the morning if it's misplaced fuel pump relay in the box (as maybe it popped out). My plan in the morning is to get more fuel and if I manage to start the car (and it will be driveable) and then try to organize some garage work on it... anything else I can do?

sounds like the rubber seal in your fuel pump is perishing... this causes it to struggle to pick up fuel as the level gets lower.

easiest way to check it is to lift it out and check.

Steps are as follows:

1: remove boot carpet.

2: undo 3 screws holding fuel pump cover.

3: disconnect connector from sender (believe this has 2 wires on it)

4: remove both fuel lines from pump (if they are original ones they will need to be replaced with jubilee clips)

5: Undo large ring that seals the tank... may need to tap it loose usning a large flat screwdriver and hammer.

6: You should now be able to twist the pump to remove it.

7: look at the bottom of the pump the seal on the bottom should for a complete unbroken ring... if not then it will need to be replaced.

If the seal is perished try to keep the car a full as possible and it will still be ok to drive until you can get a new pump/

Right, if I understood you correctly, after the procedure you mentioned the rubber seal is in fact perishing. I will need a new "Fuel Tank Lift Pump" (the one in boot) or Fuel Pump unit (the one under car)?

Thanks a lot for the step-by-step guide... I'm totally new to Corrado so that's priceless actually.

this covers the one in the tank - lift pump.

i had this exact same problem within 2 days of owning the car... luckily i was told about it and the car came with a spare pump.

My symptoms were identical to yours when i got to about 1/3 of a tank it would no longer start

I shall check this in the morning then. Have a petrol station quite close so can always pop-in with a plastic tank to get some more juice.

I did my shopping today - plenty of different cleaning products for my car - to get it properly cleaned this Weekend... and wham something else takes priority. Starting to get a feeling my car is like a cat - afraid of water or something ^^

oweng60 you were right.

This morning (yeah I'm an early bird sometimes) my car started first time. No odd buzzing, everything absolutely fine. So taking advantage of the occasion I took it to the petrol station and fill the tank up. Came back home - again no buzzing all good.

So it looks like I am in need of a new fuel tank lift pump - anyone can help out with the part number for my car?

all the parts you may need should be listed on this image... just select the ones correct for your engine code

pumpparts.jpg

According to the picture above my car would need replacement part number: 191 906 091H

... but I am struggling to find such part.. well ebay list following part: click

According to description it's a direct replacement for: 191906092, 191906092C, 191906092G, 191906092M, 533906092N, 533906092P, 357906092C but my number 191 906 091H is not listed there.

Yet on the item description it says it is "Fuel Pump & Strainer for in Tank VW Corrado 16v", is that mean there are different models of such pump available.

I need to get something fairly quickly as my car started to misbehave again - this time almost on full tank. It started to choke-like then engine just died. Tried to start and no effect. Waited maybe 5 mins, and started fine - again could hear the buzzing and car was running but was something obviously not right. Switched off for like 30mins and started again - was able to drive few miles and no buzzing and no choking-like-effects. It really puzzles me. I just need to get that part and get this replaced asap.