Sign in to follow this  
boab

just bought corrado

hi, just bought a 1.8 16v corrado, totally unmodified with full vwsh, 110000 on clock, lots of receipts and history. i got it for £1600, i was intending to get a vr6 but this one just caught my eye, i know have £3500 to play with! i was wondering what sort of things i should do to the car? any suggestions would be nice, it seems nippy enough but i would like to make it faster and look slightly better!! its totally standard as it is just now

Welcome to the forum!

Well it depends. The 1.8 16v isn't an easily tuneable car, or at least, there isn't scope for a lot of mods.

You could spend the money getting it totally ship shape (taking care of any paint damage), engine rebuild, leather retrim, etc?

Or you could just hang onto it for a rainy day :)

Don't listen to Jim.

There's lots of little things you can do to the 1.8 to give it a little more oomph.

Remember its essentially a golf engine, and they're rather moddable!

what could i do to it then?? also where can i get the rear lights like yours and how much would they cost??

My knowledge of the 1.8 is a little slack - I'm sure you'll get more suggestions tomorrow when more are online.

As for the rear lights - its just some frosty film you apply to the top half of the lights. Takes a couple of hours, but looks alright :)

I've got a load of the stuff, just need to cut it up. Drop me a PM and I'll sort you out some for a minimal donation to the forum ;)

is there any type of suspension package i should buy? or do they all do the same job?? im looking to lower it and get a set of 18`s on it, would that be too much hassle?? ive got a civic on 19`s and it was a nightmare!! dont wanna go through all trouble again.

is there any type of suspension package i should buy? or do they all do the same job?? im looking to lower it and get a set of 18`s on it, would that be too much hassle?? ive got a civic on 19`s and it was a nightmare!! dont wanna go through all trouble again.

yuck... why 18s?!? All they do is muck up the handling, look silly and cost a fortune... :? (all in my humble opinion, apart from the handling part which is fact!) :-P

Go for a set of 16s or 17s and a decent suspension set up and you'll be laughing... ;)

If you've got the 3.5K to play with you can build yourself a seriously fast, superb handling car around the 1.8 16V you now own...

Work out what it is you want the car to do, where you want to do it, and how you want the car to be, then set your budget and go for it... 8)

For 3.5K I'd be tempted by a 20VT conversion, or maybe to do something interesting based around a 2.0 16v with a turbo... ;)

what can i do to the 1.8 engine to increase the power?? who would be able to do any sort of conversion and how hard is it to get a turbo into a car?? if you know of course, i think il settle for 17s then, would you recommend any make of suspension?? also im goin to get a custom exhaust from powerflow i think

im trying to get a hold of badgeless front grill also, whereabouts could i pick one up? at a reasonable cost

welcome to the forum bob :wink:

best person to speak to regarding tuning the 16v engine would be aposegil on this forum so give him a PM and i'm sure he'll give you an idea of whats involved with ball-park figures too.......tho he has spent quite a small fortune on his pretty powerful 16v

also there is a VWCCGB(scottish region) Rolling-Road day at star-performance,Glenrothes coming up soon(04/04/04) so it might be an idea for you to come and see what other valver owners have done to their C's and what they have had to fork out.......and of course if time/space allows.....for £25 you can get yer C on the rollers too and i'm sure the staff at Star-Performance will give you pointers in what direction to go as well........most of the time the 1.8 16v can benefit quite a bit from just a simple RR tune

Yeah ill come along too, ive just bought a 1.8 16v too! ill b putn up pics soon.

take it Ure in Glasgow bob? Its running on sum anthracite 16in monzas(goes well with the red!) But as far as the engine goes im just drilling the airbox and an exhaust system and concentrating on coilovers and brakes. Its expensive to get big horse power out of the 16V so cheaper to concentrate on the brakes and suspension so the power Uve got can be used efficiently!