Wendy

Door Locks - Help please

Went to car yesterday - and key would not unlock door - Agh !!

Opened boot with key fob and tried again - successfully.

This happened again later and I just kept patiently trying key and eventually got in.

So - is this the door key lock that is going/faulty ?

Am I likley to be locked completly out of the car at all ?

If so, How do I get in ?

Is this something that needs replacing and are they still availbale does anyone know and at what sort of cost ?

Will squirting with oil into the lock help at all ?

Thanks

Wendy

can't remember where it was for the life of me now (might have been in the OLD OLD wiki...), but there was a guide to re-tumbling corrado locks on here a while back.

if you still have problems then it's got to be worth a look

The lock barrels get filled up with crap, especially in the boot lock (the aerodynamics drag road dirt into it). I've not had many locks apart but almost all of them have had one or other wafer seized - if you can get the key all the way in then it's probably one of the back ones; if the front ones are jammed you won't be able to insert the key any more. I got my boot lock working again by sticking some WD40 in a jamjar and soaking it for a week with a shake about every couple of days - then I was able to gradually pound out the stuck wafers enough to get the mole grips on them for removal. Alternatively if they won't shift at all you may be able to nudge them a little get them stuck in line with the lock barrel - they won't contribute to the locking mechanism and depending on the shape of your key you may not be able to get it in any more, but on mine I was able to sacrifice the end one and have it still work. An automatic centrepunch (with a steady hand and a vice!) works quite well at moving stubborn wafers, you need something to give it a sharp tap to get it moving. No real advice other than lots of oil and patience :) Pretty sure you can still get replacement lock barrels if it's not happening.

Stone