mattjb

Over reving

Hi guys,

Have a 2.0 16v which over rev's some times or sticks.

i can drive along the road , stop at lights and the revs go up to 2000RPM and stay there!:scratch:

It ticks over at about 1000RPM.

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Matt

Could be as simple as the throttle cable sticking - I had this same problem with my G60 some years back...

You'd need to change the throttle cable! Might be worth as a start spraying a little WD40 into the throttle linkage on the throttle body and a bit on the end of the cable and see if it helps at all.. then you really need to replace the cable.

You could try greasing the cable. I use the following method for bowden style cables. Get one of those little hard water balloons that the kids soak each other with and fill it with grease so that it full but not under pressure, if you follow me. Unclip the cable from the throttle body and slip the balloon over the end and secure it tightly with a cable tie or tape. Now GENTLY squeeze the balloon to force the grease into the cable. You will be able to feel the nipple on the end of the cable through the balloon and work it back and forth to help work the grease though the cable.

You could try greasing the cable. I use the following method for bowden style cables. Get one of those little hard water balloons that the kids soak each other with and fill it with grease so that it full but not under pressure, if you follow me. Unclip the cable from the throttle body and slip the balloon over the end and secure it tightly with a cable tie or tape. Now GENTLY squeeze the balloon to force the grease into the cable. You will be able to feel the nipple on the end of the cable through the balloon and work it back and forth to help work the grease though the cable.

you and your grease! :camp:

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

more seriously it could also be the ISV that needs a good clean.