Dozza2k5

Extreme fuel use, rough running, 2.0 16v

Right my corrado is running stupidly rich and using insane amounts of fuel, I've been pointed towards the coolant temp sensor by a helpful member of club GTI, what's other peoples experiences with a faulty temp sensor? I'm waiting for my vagcom 2x2 adapter to arrive to read the DTC's to check for sure, many thanks Rhys

What car / engine is it?? 9A?

Could be a lambda issue or wiring to it, faulty temp sensors won't usually have as bad an effect as you describe.

Yes 9a engine, ahhh well I've ordered a new temp sensor so il try that, if not then I should have my vagcom adapter by the time it's fitted which will point me in the right direction, many thanks for your input :)

That's fine mate, when I unplug the Fuel pressure regulator it runs fine apart from being lumpy on idle, I'm gonna check the continuity on that Thursday, but when I plug it back in it goes crap again and then the same thing happens when I unplug the temp sensor

Unplugging the FPR??

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Do you mean the 5th injector? - Blue plug at front right of engine?

If so then it's likely to be stuck open and that's the problem!

Sorry I meant the fuel control pressure regulator on the metering head, I've tried the 5th Injector that's fine aswell, well saying fine I've just unplugged it and there's no change, what could I do to rule that out?

the same on mine its got so bad cant drive it now , like you if i unplug the meetering head it sort of runs like a pig mind.

I am thinking of ripping that old **** out the going after market ecu .

cus i have tryed for months to get her running right , nop just uses tons of fuel or only run on full gas .

Yeh, Ive just bought a new metering head from eBay as I think my problem is the fuel pressure control regulator, the car is now off the road now until next next year, during this time I'm gonna fit a new metering head, new coolant temp sensor, lambda sensor and throttle switch, and if my problems still persist then I'm going to look into fitting a k jetronic fuel system. Il keep any progress up to date

What car / engine is it?? 9A?

Could be a lambda issue or wiring to it, faulty temp sensors won't usually have as bad an effect as you describe.

I'd guess this is your problem, it was on mine anyhow. Does your car take an age to start after its been warmed up? I ask as once the oxygen sensor fails the rest of the system can't cope and so the ecu just defaults to cold start mode hence the crazy over fueling.

No there's never any issues with starting, 1 thing I've noticed is she won't start when I've unplugged the coolant temp sensor

When cold? Only thing it's for is cold starting and telling you the water temp obviously :lol:

This is

when ticking over. Faulty oxygen, air mass and knock sensors. Edited by elliott