Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

A waste of money?

My car( 2.0l 16v ) cut out and died the other week.It would occasionally start but only run at high revs.A diagnostic check indicated a duff airflow meter so I ordered one(ouch) and it came today.After fitting there's no difference.Sometimes it will fire up straight away and others it wont start at all, but it will only run at high revs.I've established that fuel is getting to the metering head, but on the times when it won't start if I remove the plugs they're bone dry.On checking an injector it confirms no fuel getting to the combustion chamber.Any ideas gentlemen, please??

Sounds more like a 1.8-16v problem from what you describe (k-jetronic injection) - u sure you have a 2.0-16v ??

Anyway - if this problem was on a 1.8-16v then the fuel metering head (fuel distributor) may be blocked, or the central plunger may be sticking or possibly an air leak - causing the airflow meter to give false readings.

HTH

From what I understand its KE- jetronic( Motronic ? ) where they've taken a completely decent, reliable , mechanical fuel injection system and totally botched it up with electronic "enhancement".So now everything is made more complicated and because of the more rare system, expensive!!. By the way we've talked before; I have THE poor mans' Cobra ;;TR7 V8 rules.Sadly I can't get it out of the garage as there is a broken down "poor mans' Porsche" stuck on the drive!

I'd go with Steve's diagnosis. Sicky plunger in the fuel distributer or a big airleak/split hose? If the engine sucks inadequate amounts of air, the flap in the Fuel distributer will not move enough to allow fuel in. If you start the car and catch it to keep it running. It is prolly the cold start injector allowing the start and the wide throttle opening/high revs letting enough fuel in. Although it'll be a weak mixture.

IMHO the KE motronic is a good idea. It allows the 'nasty emissions' of the 16V to have Lambda control. I have had a 9A engined Passat in the past and it ran like a dream til I sold it with 180K on it. It is still going now with of 200K. Also you can have it chipped in the usual sense of the phrase. Unlike the KR which requires piggy back fettling to have it run correctly.

Gavin

Well, Steve and Gavin there's no obvoious sucking sound.Also when the car died initially the plugs were jet black on removal.The following day it wouldn't start and the plugs were wet.Now it'll either start( eventually) but only run at high revs or not start and the plugs are bone dry on inspection.Anyway I've booked it in to be taken away and looked at by a local firm of whom I've heard nothing but good things.He certainly instilled confidence over the phone.I may have another look, given I'm pretty cack-handed and mayhave dislodged something when fitting the airflow meter.