stevef182

No 1st gear. Ideas?

As above really. My VR wont go into first gear -no matter how far to the left you push, when you push forward to select first, it just goes into third.

Just about got second gear, but very tough to select. 3rd, 4th and 5th are fine..for now.

What are the possible problems, or is it obvious?

Try here, the search is your friend as someone once said.

http://direct.the-corrado.net/showthread.php?42188-Gear-selection-adjustment

Thanks, I really hope that is the issue. Will have a look asap.

However its not like it's tough to select first, its impossibe, as if it isnt there. Any other ideas?

circlip popped off the pivot under the gearstick gator probably, or the plastic connector from the cable end to the top of the gearbox selector tower starting to break up.

see if you can select 1st by moving the gear selector tower levers on to pof the box by hand, no need to detach cables just try moving the levers

Probably something broken or out of allignment but this could also maybe be the clutch slave - does the pedal feel strange / bite point feel low?

Steve, if you need some cables I'm selling the ones off my early 16V and IIRC they're all the same. Only want £10 for them, but hope you manage to fix the issue whatever it is :salute:

How do I get to the gear selector tower levers?

open the bonnet :)

follow the two cables from the bulkhead to the top of the box, you'll see the lever on the left/nearest the block, has a black plastic connector bolted to the shifter tower, these are notorious for breaking. Just manually move the levers/cable ends and you should be able to select all 5 gears, reverse will need someone in the car to press the lever down if you leave the cables connected.

Thanks for the help guys, all sorted. The nut that controls the 'side to side' movement had somehow come loose. Re-aligned the shift and tightened back up.