owen g60

g60 oil breather 'breathing'

hi guys,

can a couple of g60 owners do me a favour.

start your engine and pull the oil breather hose off the cam cover.

do you get any 'blowing from here??

ive just been told that this is a sign of worn piston rings which may be the cause of my oil leak.

i am sure my g60 has always done this but want to confirm others do it too.

There will always be a bit of air coming from there, its normal due to the pressure in the crankcase. Youre better off doing a cylinder leakage test

well im going to do a compression test tomorrow see what that throws up.

and will be changing my oil filter as i think i damaged it fitting my inter cooler pipes.

hopefully that will be the end of my issues.

thought the breathing was normal, would a forced induction engine breathe more than a N/A one??

Every engine new or old will let some compressed air escape trough the piston rings or steam seals. So in short yes, a forced induction engine might cause more blow trough the breather, but this would only happen under boost situations. During idle it would be the same as a n.a engine.(at least on a g60 due to the boost bypass on the throttle body).

How many miles is on yours? Have you done steam seals in the past?

your valve guides and stem seals sound ok because you'd be sucking in air through the breather if they were worn(on idle,not boost)

Blow is normal,sucking isnt

all seems good engine wise 9.5 bar on all 4 cylinders.

think i dislodged my sump slightly when i clipped the remains of a bollard in a parking space

oops... not something you want to be doing all the time! my 20v sump is the lowest part of the car so im not happy about going over speed bumps and ive decided to keep car at standard ride height.

Could have been worse,the crank output seal could have went on the gearbox side.thats a big job

im getting it investigated tomorrow...

hope it isnt that

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

is there any way of telling if it is my crank output seal??

i only seem to leak when the car is being driven.

take the small plate off that covers the flywheel near the sump.(got small piece of rubber on it too) Get you finger in behind the flywheel.You may get a bit of oil if the sump seal is gone but not much.if its dripping off when you start the engine then you may have to start looking at a new crank seal

ah gotcha...

will point the guys in this direction when i get it to them tomorrow.

would the sump only leak when being driven??

i want to give them as much info as possible so as not to waste time them looking for other things to keep the labour costs down.

dont suppose anyone has the part number for a crank seal should i need it??

sorry just to say id change the sump gasket first before as its easiest(and cheapest) done first

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

think its 068103051G as its quite a common seal across the vag range

i have had it suggested that i may have done the crank seal.

im hoping its just the gasket.

the oils does seam to be coming from the gearbox side of the engine and spraying onto the crossmember by the front mount.

have ruled out oil filter, cooler plate and temp/pressure senders and charger oil lines so only things left are sump gasket and crank seal in that case

sump will leak when driven as the pressure in the crankcase will blow oil out the part where its not sealing correctly.Shouldnt leak when engine isnt on

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

do the sump gasket first then,you can do it yourself to save money but the few bolts at the flywheel side are a pain in the ar$e to get at without proper U/J

so its a 50/50 shot then as to which it is... will get the underside jetwashed before sump gasket is changed then i should know if i have fixed it and its not just old oil under there

all sorted now.

had slightly dislodged my sump gasket and the banjo blot on the charger was weeping.

no more horrible oil smell whilst driving :)