coullstar

Issues after cam swap

Okay I have fitted some new cams to the car and put the car back together only for it to have some real issues. I made the the car was timed right and checked the intermediate shaft timing mark, it was at the top mark but in line.

I primed the top tensioner bolt by turning the car over with the starter then double checked the timing again. Out everything back together but didnt fully tighten the inlet manifold bolts. The car ran fine before taking it apart.

When I try to start it turns over but dies straight away. If a little throttle is applied is stays on but is very very lumpy, stinks of fuel and wants to die with throttle taken off. The revs rise but very quickly and not in a liner relation to the throttle opening. There is also an awful grating or shreiking noise when the revs rise and some popping from the exhaust. I took everything apart, checked timing and all is okay. Turned it over by hand and using the starter and again all seems fine. Put it back together and systematically disconnected the MAF, ISV and each plug lead but it made no difference.

Tried my VAG COM but it didnt pick anything up but TBH I dont think its working right. To me it must be something mechanical but I cant see what, the ISV etc was working fine before so I dont see why they would suddlenty stop working.

Anything else that someone can think of? Im thinking Ive somehow damaged a valve which is now not sealing and causing this issue but then surely it would only be on one cyclinder.

Edited by coullstar

Coilpack version. All plugs are sooty black after attempting to start. Im going to do a compresion test. Like I said all was fine before stripping down.