UseOnceDestroy

Seized brake line... any alternatives while I'm at it?

Right, I'll start this thread as I start most of them... explaining (before I'm pounced on) that I know very little but I'm learning at every step.

The most recent lesson is brakes....

I have bought Mk3 calipers, carriers, disks, pads and the necessary hoses for the fronts. And Mk4 calipers, carriers and brake lines (corrado disks, bearings and pads) for the rear. Got all the calipers and carriers shot blasted and powder coated in satin black so they look very pretty...

Began fitting the fronts with a friend tonight... excuse my terminology here coz I haven't a clue what the technical names are. The brake lines (feeds into the engine bay) are seized on the original hoses which obviously need to be removed to fit the new Mk3 hoses. So unfortunately, we were unable to continue.

I need to get new brake lines tomorrow, but before I go ahead and order standard replacements. Are there any alternatives that would be more efficient with the new brake set up? Or am I being a plonker asking this question?

Anyway, cheers for any help you can offer.

You can use standard brakes lines, if your going to all the extent of changing calipers and the lines then I would change the flexi s as well.

Are you using the right kind of spanner? You need one that looks like this:

2604-2605.jpg

If you use a normal one it'll take loads more effort and you've more chance of rounding it off. Mk4 calipers should bolt straight onto your existing carriers - did you only get new ones so you could powdercoat them? I'm in the middle of painting my new set, looking forward to brakes that work!

Stone

There is no real upgrade for the rigid lines, you can however get them made or make them yourself in copper which would be cheaper than new OEM ones, if they are even still available?

Isn't someone on here making copies though if you have time to wait for them to come?

Jay

OEM lines are no longer available.

so, its either copper, or get the chap on here, who is very good by the way, I've had a few made up and they are spot on. and look very OEM...

Its quite common to round off the unions, I had 3 that rounded off when fitting my goodridge hoses....

Pete

Cheers guys, volksworld13 PM'd me... this is his thread...

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?53172-genuine-brake-lines-remanufactured-for-vr6

Stone - We were using that spanner thanks, I know this because I'd never seen one until last night! And carriers came with the callipers I bought so I got em shot blasted and powder coated too, didn't buy new... my girlfriends brother is a breaker so got em on the cheap :D

Because nothing ever goes wrong when working on cars... [sighs]... we got a bit ahead of ourselves and cut and clamped the old hoses, so my car is sat at a mates garage... and to add to that misery, my MOT is due on Wednesday. Ideally, I would have liked to purchase lines from volksworld13 after reading through his thread... but I've had to settle for copper to get things moving £50 to make and fit the fronts which isn't that bad I don't reckons.

Thanks for your help here lads