bunker

Hello and a few issues :-)

Hi all,

Jai here, thought I would say hi! I am just getting in to the water cooled crew, and have brought a raddo G60, love it........ also run air cooled 59 (if anyone needs help)

just sending the charger to be serviced and then its good to go, its running a stage 4 and chipped with a 68mm pulley, goes nice! I am having a few issues on start up though, thought someone could help?

This problem is from cold only. It starts, goes about 100 yards and stops. then wont start again. leave 30 secs and bang. starts again.... :scratch: anyone help?

Welcome mate from just over the border, Im afraid I cant help you with you issue as I havnt had a G60 but I'm sure some one will be along soon

Cheers dude, no worries. how odd my bro has 'Too weird to live too rare to die' tattooed on his gut! lol....

Cheers dude, no worries. how odd my bro has 'Too weird to live too rare to die' tattooed on his gut! lol....

He didn't have it done by a stange looking Estonian chap with a limited grasp of English did he?

dies completely mate then leave it for 30 secs then it starts and drives all day long????

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Does it splutter or die completely instantly?

dies completely mate, then leave it for 30 seconds and start it again and its fine? any ideas?

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

He didn't have it done by a stange looking Estonian chap with a limited grasp of English did he?

ha ha no mate whys that?

that would indicate a electrical problem.Happy hunting is all i can say. if you havent already invested in a bentley manual i suggest you get one.rare cars like this dont have haynes manuals for them and will save you countless hours looking for problems

that would indicate a electrical problem.Happy hunting is all i can say. if you havent already invested in a bentley manual i suggest you get one.rare cars like this dont have haynes manuals for them and will save you countless hours looking for problems

cheers dude, how come this only happens when the car is very cold then? sounds like it could be a red herring? it has had a boost return delete, could this be the issue? when the charger is back from it service i will renestate the boost return and see what happens.

Lots of possible causes unfortunately. Could be to do with any immobiliser it has (my Clifford can do this at times depending on when I turn the engine on and off), also potentially to do with the ISV itself or the wiring going to it. The wiring for the ISV goes between the fuel rail and head, and gets very very hot causing it to go brittle and break. What does it rev at at idle when cold? Perhaps the idle speed is too low... Having tried the boost return mod, I would recommend you put it back to normal atleast to see if it cures the problem.

Lots of possible causes unfortunately. Could be to do with any immobiliser it has (my Clifford can do this at times depending on when I turn the engine on and off), also potentially to do with the ISV itself or the wiring going to it. The wiring for the ISV goes between the fuel rail and head, and gets very very hot causing it to go brittle and break. What does it rev at at idle when cold? Perhaps the idle speed is too low... Having tried the boost return mod, I would recommend you put it back to normal atleast to see if it cures the problem.

Hi mate,

Immobiliser is an interesting one, I did think this at one point so I will keep that on the back burner, the ISV is what my brother is saying as well, he has a spare so that can also be changed, its strange when it idles, its up and down like its hunting, between 900 and just over 1000..??

very helpful mate cheers.

ISV's are specific to G60's as far as I know so make sure you have the right one. 900-1000 is a bit high - my idle is around 750, but it does mean that low idle speed is not causing it to stall atleast. Even if the ISV works check the wiring - mine had gone brittle and cracked from the heat but it was all hidden from view. Good luck with it. Two other things to change for piece of mind are the ECU and fuel pump relays. ECU relays are a known weak point and can cause unexpected cutouts as well.

ISV's are specific to G60's as far as I know so make sure you have the right one. 900-1000 is a bit high - my idle is around 750, but it does mean that low idle speed is not causing it to stall atleast. Even if the ISV works check the wiring - mine had gone brittle and cracked from the heat but it was all hidden from view. Good luck with it. Two other things to change for piece of mind are the ECU and fuel pump relays. ECU relays are a known weak point and can cause unexpected cutouts as well.[

Think your right with the ISV comment, its cool my brothers doing a MK1 golf g60 conversion and has a lot of spares kicking around. how can I get the idle down on mine then mate? I know very little about water-cooled cars ( air-cooled is my field ;-) I will check the relays out as well as the ISV wiring.

You have been very helpful.

Have a hunt with the search on here - there is plenty on setting the idles speed. It should drop as the car warms up as well - mine when cold is quite high then drops to around when warm 750.

I have it on my chest too :D as well as Hunter s Thompson portrait on the inside of my bicep

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Hahaha its been sorted now :p

got an idea,turn ign to on postion but dont start for 30 seconds.then start. see if it makes a difference?

from cold start of course