porki

1.8T Conversion dashboard beep.. Help!

Hi,

I have '90 1.8 16v that i have transplanted an ibiza AYP 1.8T lump & gearbox with Emerald management, all is running ok and has been initially mapped by Dave at Emerald, just tidying up and running around a bit to make sure all is good before flat out mapping.

Anyway.. the tacho didn't work so i got an Emerald tacho driver to convert the 12v output from the ECU into the coil type voltages needed to drive the early tacho. With this fitted the tacho now works fine, spot on with the output shown when i connect the laptop to the diagnostics but i now have a beeping from the dashboard that wasn't there before i connected the tacho driver to the red/black tacho wire in the engine bay.

Sorry for the rambling but i wanted to set the scene a bit in there was something blindingly simple i have missed, does anyone have any idea what this might be? There are other wires from the KR still left disconnected but these were disconnected before i connected the tacho driver. I'm confused, any help will be gratefully received!

cheers,

Ian

right if its a 1990 car or earlier the red/black wire is connected to the coil g1/12 was for the tacho(as yours is in the engine bay you have earlier car i believe) which is correct however on earlier cars this wire was also connected to constant positive on the old ecu relay. So to that end it believe connecting the tacho adpator output directly to the green wire at U1/6 (goes to the tacho directly but shares the same connection to the oil control unit in the dash which may be the bleeping)cut wire U1/6 and splice wire directly to the tacho which will take the constant positive out of the question(obviously splice into one going to the tacho not to the fusebox)

This may work but i cant guarantee it will as im still working on my own. How much was the tach driver?

Ah I see, there were two red/blacks and one green/black but no plain green in the bundle coming through the bulkhead drivers side, i'll have a better look tomorrow but that would sound about right - the oil warning light was flashing before even though level and pressure are good!! I'll let you know tomorrow how I get on. I have a lot of PDFs and stuff but it has baffled me!

The driver was about £40 from Emerald I think.

It's been three years in the making already, this isn't gonna put me of haha, I may even get a project thread up at some point!

Edited by porki

U1/6 will be at the fuse box in the footwell not engine bay.that green wire should go to the old digifant ecu.Have you not removed it?

• Like 1

I was gonna look this morning but its pouring down here and i'm not that dedicated!

All remnants of the K-Jet and all it's associated paraphernalia have been removed but i left the loom of wires coming from the fusebox into the engine bay so that i could perhaps get the MFA and oil level sensors working at a later date!

If it clears up tomorrow i shall have a look, this afternoon is out as i'm being dragged to see Bryan Adams! Cheers for your help dannyboy

If it clears up tomorrow i shall have a look, this afternoon is out as i'm being dragged to see Bryan Adams!

:lol: im sure your being 'dragged' to see it :lol:

dragged I most definitely was(n't) dammit!

had a chaotic weekend so have only just got a chance to try any thing! just started the car from very cold and there is no beep, tried disconnecting the oil level sensor to see if the 1.8T and the 16v work inversely (i.e. the 1.8T drops an earth when the level is low but the 16v dash is looking for a dropped earth to say things are normal?). I can run it up to temp to see what happens as the oil warms up & thins as the next door neighbour who works nights has just rolled up for some sleep. god hates me and my corrado, it's true!

sorry to drag up an old thread but just wanted to let anyone who may have the same issue know what the problem was. The 1.8T i have has only one oil pressure sensor and the KR had two - one low pressure (black/blue wire) and a second that the dash uses to check pressure at engine speeds of over 2k (yellow wire). Basically i had connected the 1.8T sensor the wrong dash wire!

the resolution was to permanently earth the yellow wire, this is the one that causes the light to flash AND the buzzer to sound. I then connected the blue/black wire to the engines oil pressure switch which earths at low pressure illuminating the dash lamp but not sounding the buzzer. I am also fitting an oil pressure gauge to be on the safe side as often the damage is done by the time that warning light flashes!!