CorradoWannabe

Decat Exhaust and MoT

A very newbie question here but I've read different things. The Corrado I'm after has Milltek 2.5” stainless steel exhaust (de-cat) - now i've seen some people say that you cannot get an MoT if you have de-cat your exhaust? Is this true? Are some garages stricter than others? Will emissions test etc still pass?

A sensor is put up the tail pipe which cant lie or be lenient. Though you maybe able to find a garage that may put the sensor up a different tail pipe.

Its not a case of it failing if it doesnt have a cat, its a case that the emissions will be higher with out one and therefore could fail the MOT. You'll probably need a cat during MOT time, but nothing saying you cant put one on for MOT time ;)

A sports cat is another option.

Pretty sure age of car is the key here. Also something about Pre-Aug 92 springs to mind.

What I can tell you for sure is that I've attempted to have my car MOT 2 years running with the decat still fitted and emissions were a long way off passing.

(95 VR6).

It's part of the mot to check the condition of the exhaust, mainly looking for leaks. If there is no cat present on a post august 92 car they can indeed fail it. To be honest if a garage didn't notice it I wouldn't be sending my car to them for any repair work.

As said best bet is to change the decat pipe over for the mot. But yes some garages will turn a blind eye to it. Sat morning is the normal day for things to be inspected by stevie wonder ;)

Sat morning is the normal day for things to be inspected by stevie wonder ;)

Classic.

any car before april 1992 doesnt require a Cat and is allowed 3.5% CO by volume and 1200 HC ppm.After that you require a Cat and are only allowed 0.3% and 600 HC ppm.

Pays to have a earlier car as the limit is quite generous.