Portent

Mk4 Golf - Standard leather sports seats - vs- leather recaros?

I currently have a mk4 Golf 4Motion with heated black leather 'sports' seats. These are similar to the leather recaro's in mk4 Golfs and to be honest they are very comfy. It's my daily driver and I've owned it since it was 6 months old. It is in superb condition with about 57k on the clock and as I've already suffered the depretiation over the years I can't see any point in selling it in the near future. The seats are in superb condition with only one very small mark on them. The heated elements are very toasty.

I have a chance of getting some heated black leather recaros. I suspect they won't be in quite as good condition as my current seats so may need some refurbing.

My question; does anyone have any experience of both seats? Are the recaro's worth it over the standard leather sports seats? As with the Corrado the standard sports seats are very similar to the recaros and I'm not sure if the extra expense is worth it (about £450 plus any cost to refurb if they need it).

Opinions?

The recaros on the mk4 are far better IMO. In fact try and get hold of some out of an a3, mine had leccy lumbar support too which was nice.

The A3 recaros are very different to the MK4 ones. Having had both in my MK4's I would say stick with the "sports" if they are mint. The Recaros are lovely if they are in the car, but they are not worth swapping to IMHO, the Sport ones are actually more "bolstered" and I preferred them. The only thing they don't have is the recessed headrests, but its a minor difference.

Jay

They're the same Jay, ive had an a3 and a mk4 and they're identical (except the a3 seats don't say recaro).

I think the recaros are a fair bit nicer to be honest, offer more support IMO.

Thanks so far, I must admit I do like the look of those cream mk4 recaro's. I'm not too bothered about electric seats (ie the A3's). I have those in my Corrado and once set I never move them.

I'm probably leaning towards not bothering with the upgrade. That would be another £400 I could put towards the Corrado (the strange thing is I always find it hard to justify spend on the Golf except for maintenance but I usually find a way of justifying spend on non-essentials for the Corrado).

Edited by Portent

Jay those are S3 recaros which are the same as anniversary recaros.

A3 recaro's:

http://images.compucars.co.uk/7/large/audi-a3-hatchback-petrol_4141437.jpg

I've never seen the leg extension bits on a mk4 though! Nice...

The a3 recaros I was referring to have leccy lumbar support, everything else is manual. Having said that they're difficult to get hold of. Either way I'd say rock the mk4 recaros.

Just so happens I have a MK4 golf 1.8T for sale with the cream electric Recaros in :).

Jay

Yes I saw that. Looks lovely. Exactly the same colour as mine to (Indigo) although different colour imterior. Mk4's are great daily cars and a nice contrast to the Corrado. They are simple to live with and even though they aren't as sharp in handling and 'feel' as the Corrado, they are so comfy and still fairly quick.

Jay those are S3 recaros which are the same as anniversary recaros.

A3 recaro's:

http://images.compucars.co.uk/7/large/audi-a3-hatchback-petrol_4141437.jpg

I've never seen the leg extension bits on a mk4 though! Nice...

The a3 recaros I was referring to have leccy lumbar support, everything else is manual. Having said that they're difficult to get hold of. Either way I'd say rock the mk4 recaros.

Thanks. Just when I'd decided to save the money you remind me how nice they are. I'll have a think on it overnight :)

Edited by Portent