nicklouse10

poor brake performance - cant figure out why

Hi,

I have poor front brake performance and am struggling to work out where the problem is.

the car is a 95 M, 2.0 16V corrado

I think the front brakes are from a MK2 Golf.

The pads are:

Height [mm]: 69,5

Width [mm: 119

Thickness [mm]: 16

(which matches the dimensions that GSF list for replacement MK2 golf pads)

the pads have loads of meat on them, the calipers float Ok and are the pistons are free and moving. The discs also have lots of meat on them and aren't scored or warped, but the brakes just dont seem to work very well. They did pass the MoT but I was actually surprised they passed because they really dont seem to be working very well at all.

the only thing I can think of is that the master cylinder can't cope with the larger calipers and pads? The originals are about half the size (I know cos I bought a set and they dont fit my calipers.

heres some pics:

IMG_1357.jpg?t=1325243713

IMG_1356-1.jpg?t=1325243765

IMG_1359.jpg?t=1325243818

IMG_1360.jpg?t=1325243832

Measure your discs, 16V should be 256mm dia (Same as Mk2 Golf 16V) - If they are 280mm then they have had a G60 upgrade, which is quite common.

Ian.

Yeah they look standard to me and if they are the G60 ones then the caliper piston size is still 54mm so no affect on the MC.

Being a 95 car it will have ABS, when was the fluid last changed??

The rear brakes on these cars also have a huge impact of the overall brake feel, have a good look at these plus the compensator valve to check it's working correctly.

What's actually the issue - feel spongy / too much pedal travel or just simply struggles to stop?? sometimes cheapo pads and discs can feel awful as they age!

Hi,

The discs are 256mm dia. I bought a new set because I intended to change the discs and pads, but when I took the calipers off I saw that the discs and pads on the car aren't worn at all, which is weird in itself because they have been on the car for about 10k miles.

The brake fluid was changed last year when I had a load of corroded brake pipes replaced. where is the compensator valve located?

The pedal doesn't fell too spongy, it's more that the car doesn't stop sharp enough. (I've had the car for 2 years and never once have had the ABS kick in)

So are the calipers on my car standard size then? I bought these from GSF which I thought were to fit the standard caliper, but they are miles too small. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pad-Set-VW-CORRADO-88-95-BREMBO-/280721328902?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415c4b8b06#ht_1647wt_1392

Now I'm getting even more confused... I just spotted these, which are a totally different size, but are listed for the same model/year. These would actually fit my calipers I think: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pad-Set-Front-VW-CORRADO-89-95-/300591649523?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fca892f3#ht_1613wt_1392

I checked my rear brakes and they don't look worn at all. Their condition is too good for their age. (but then so are the fronts) so I suspect they haven't been working effectively either.

Hmmm.

Have they ever been good?

Are you sure they're not just crap compared with more modern cars?

Hmmm... yeah 10k is nothing for discs and you might not see much wear on pads but should be some...

The discs don't look 'clean' - was the car sat for a while?? If not then maybe the calipers are not working effectively.

Rear comp valve is under passenger side rear axle - should be free to move up when pushed

Those GSF pads you bought are the rears - no where on the description does it say that though - useless!!

The second link looks like the right ones for the fronts.

well... they have always been crap. I hear what you're saying, but these are particularly poor. I am genuinely surprised they got through the last 2 MoT's.

I guess I could live with it, but I'd rather get it sorted.

I cant get the fronts to lock up without giving it some initial pumping and then literally standing on the pedal really sharply.

I've driven a lot of older cars which have much better braking. My 1967 mustang brakes batter than this on drums all-round!

I just cant figure out why they aren't working. I suspect the master cylinder but I don't want to fit a new one unless I can confirm that this is indeed the culprit

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Those GSF pads you bought are the rears - no where on the description does it say that though - useless!!

The second link looks like the right ones for the fronts.

bah, that's frustrating. still, at least it clears up my confusion

Hmmm... yeah 10k is nothing for discs and you might not see much wear on pads but should be some...

there is less wear than I would have expected, but I guess it could be right for the mileage.

The discs don't look 'clean' - was the car sat for a while?? If not then maybe the calipers are not working effectively.

Rear comp valve is under passenger side rear axle - should be free to move up when pushed

yes the car has been sitting for a month unused. The discs are covered in surface rust.

I'll check the comp valve tomorrow morning, cheers!

Jut reading through, I had the same issue with my 312 TT fronts. They were so poor, despite having decent pads/discs and being bled.

I fitted braided hoses to the front and suddenly they were the brakes I wanted! Reckoning the front hoses were original, and whilst looking okay on the outside, were deteriorated and probably expanding under pressure.

I got them cheap from Amazon. Worth trying out.

I think I've sussed it!

I took your advice and did a thorough check of the hoses. They all looked fine apart from the short set on the rear which looked a little tired, so I've got a replacement set which I'm fitting tomorrow

This got me thinking about other hoses, so I checked the vacuum hose on the brake booster and sure enough I can hear it hissing. I'm pretty sure it's leaking/sucking

I want to replace it. Do i need a VAG part of can I just get some universal hose? and does anyone know what size it is?

cheers

Nick

Edited by nicklouse10

I was going to say check the brake servo vacuum line to the manifold! You can get some generic stuff I'm sure, as it doesn't need to be super high pressure for fuel or oil or anything.

not 100% on what side ID/OD the pipe will be i'm afraid. I'm sure someone will know though.