Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

charge cooler rad

Hi,

i ve just seen yamaha R1 rad on ebay, and was woundering if it would be provide enough cooling for a charge cooler?

the dimensions are 16" by 12"

same height as a vr rad but not quite as long

i would like a custom made one to sit on the front of the rad, but this would cost bucks, so i am looking for bargin alternatives on ebay :)

a quick reponse would be great as there is not a lot of time left.

If you want it to sit in front of the rad, surely you want a rad that's not as high as the normal rad, but is longer so you can get the pipes in around the existing rad? :?

you would have thought that.

but if u look at the front cross member/radiator surport, theres a ridge that the radiator sits on, then it drops down infront of it, i was planning on mounting it here.

do you know what i mean?

i went down the breakers, spent an afternoon looking and measuring rads, i found an MG air con rad, about 6" longer and 2" higher than the g60 rad, chop the feet off, cut and block the excisting air con feeds, drill throu the holes in each end,(where the feet were) and all the way down the botom, cutting out the baffles, and it should sit in front of the coolent rad perfectly. there, one long very efficient rad and for about £15, works a treat, 8)

£15 sounds a lot better then £200-£300 for a made one.

thanks for the help, what sort of MG was it? any sort with air con? :?

have you this set-up on your car, what pump do u use?

sorry for all the Q's

just been looking at the car today and was thinking about using the old 16v rad mounted infront of the other, i am pretty sure it could be made to fit, but probably would nt be as effecient as the MG set-up

you would have thought that.

but if u look at the front cross member/radiator surport, theres a ridge that the radiator sits on, then it drops down infront of it, i was planning on mounting it here.

do you know what i mean?

Yup, that's where my Golf G60 intercooler lives... 8) That's always been where I would mount an intercooler, so mounting another radiator for a charge cooler system in that location's not a bad idea either... 8)

i dont remember which mg it was, it is a scappy. no doors back end missing, the only reason i knew it was an mg was the front alloys had mg on em :roll: . but i've seen people use golf 1.3 coolents rads, but there was much room, the air con rad is only 16-17mm thick, real slim line. as for the pump i'm using a single speed caravan pump. only £20, but noisy, i'm on the look out for a two speed inline pump, all the pro pumps the inlet and out let are at 90', this would cause me probs,

I have a Polo radiator situated in front of the standard G60 one. As for the water pump, I asume you mean for the charge cooler. I would recommend Pace Motorsport. Not cheap, but purpose built for the application and suitable for continuous running!

I also use a Polo rad infront of my g60 one. Can't remember what type of pump :oops: , but I know its for a marine application.....it's situated quite low on the car, so should be "resistant" to rain etc.

Something you may want to consider - the pump is LOUD, (well mine is anyway !)although I have just had a toothed belt system fitted and it now drowns out the noise from the pump ! :lol:

heres a pic of a pic of the conditioning rad. it also has a push type fan on the front, i have a switch in the dash board. i normally use this when stuck in traffic, the coolant rad has been removed so i could fit it in better, and the old intercooler pipe are still in place.

I've had the Pace waterpump on the car for a couple of months now and it is very quiet. You can't hear it when the bonnet is shut. The only way that I know it is working is to look into the swirl pot to see the water moving and also to touch the nice cold charge cooler 8) . Before that I went through numerous water pumps all of which packed up due to continuous use.

the charge cooler rad is to cool the water which is passing throu the charge cooler, this is more effient then an air to air intercooler, typically 6x size for size.

Hi g60bv,

Just been having a closer look at your chargecooler in the last photo. How is it mounted ? and what's the small tubing coming off the top near the throttle body end - is it for a temp guage ?

I have a behr chargecooler too :D , soon as I have "smaller" piccies of it, I'll post 'em up

Cheers,

Mark

on the throttle the is a small fitting, this is the ACT thermister., as for mounting. i hav a supporting bracket under neath which then bolts on to the gearbox. ( on the gear selector there are two bolts, use one of them.)

I have a bracket underneath too, I think is goes down to the gearbox ( John @ JMR can confirm this - he did all the work ! )

Didn't get home in time to take some piccies - I'll have to do them over the weekend.