Craig

Front End Refurb VR6

ive had a look on the search but cant quite find what im looking for.

I have a bit of noise coming from the front drivetrain, possibly the wheel bearings. ill look to replace either side as it makes sense.

Im just wondering while i look into this, is there anything else i should look into at the same time. im not great with mechanics and component names etc, i will work with my dad to get the work done as it will be a learning experience for me but he lives in Rotherham so i will need to take the part sup with me.

So should i look into things like the bushes, drop links, arbs, track rod ends, hubs etc? i dont want to spend hundreds unnecessarily but also dont mind spending a bit to tidy up the front end, as far as i know the front drive train hasnt been updated?

And also are there any problems with fitting any of the above or is it a simple case removing and re-fitting new parts?

Thanks

checking a cv joints is a good idea, if you turn wheels on maximum and go forward and backward and there is no clicking they should be fine

To change the front wheel bearings you'll need access to a press - the bearings are pressed into the carrier and the hub into the bearing.

Lower ball joints are fairly cheap and easy to fit. The rear bushes on the front wishbones may well need changing - a bit of a hard job to get the new ones in without a proper tool. The best solution may be to get new wishbones with bush and balljoint as a unit. Top mounts may need changing too.

Get genuine VW parts if you can afford them.

Have the geometry checked after the work is completed.

Best wishes

RB