CorradoWannabe

Breakdown in Shopping Centre :(

Family went to a shopping centre near us (Tandem Centre in Colliers Wood) and afterwards planned to go to Halfords to get a CD player fitted - so decided to take two cars - wifey & kids in the Golf, and me following in the Corrado. Well, the Halfords part sadly never happened!!

Way there was ok - getting out the car park on the way home was not fun - lots of queuing and starting and stopping. Car seemed to stall at one point, tried firing it up but it would not! It would turn over but not fire up. I had a line of cars behind me, I put on the hazards, but people thought I was waiting for a space and started beeping! I tried several times, no joy, some kind soul pushed me, I tried bump start-no joy. Car then out the way and I popped the lid and checked connections, the engine did seem very hot, but not overly so.

I called the AA out & told wifey (who had left the car park just before me in the golf) that I was stuck! AA were very quick, arrived in 15 mins - and the guy set about checking stuff. He checked fuel was coming through but found there was no spark at the plugs. He had some questions about why there was an AFPR on it, why it was stuck to the side of the engine, why there were cut wires etc etc. When I told him it was an R32 engine in it & a custom ECU he started reminiscing about swapping engines between cars 'back in the day'!

During diagnosis we were talking about the car, I was not feeling at my happiest and him telling me I had paid too much for it and would have been better off getting an R32 golf instead did not help things! Wifey adding other comments about how it was not worth it- and does not even work made things even worse! I felt ganged up on - talk about kicking a man when he's down!!!

AA man concluded that he thought it was the crank position sensor and offered to tow me home. I chose to have it taken to my parents place to leave it on the drive and have a go at starting it. He advised checking all fuses - which I'll be doing tomorrow.

Not a good day. Being towed through areas I used to enjoy driving this car was not a good look!

Hopefully it is just a fuse - if not I'll have to try and work out how much me and my dad can investigate on this unfamiliar R32 engine with the even less familiar Emerald ECU!!

Not a good day :(

Good luck getting it sorted. Once you do, you will forget all the pain again and it woo be worth it.

Hope you get it sorted mate and its something simple. Problem is though it will be in the back of your mind all the time you go out in it. Can you trust it never to do this again?

Good luck Alan