VW_OwneR_85

windscreen fitting/fitters?!

just been quoted £150 to have my screen fitted, kinda think this is a huge rip off! as all they have to do is fit it! i have a brand new screen all the new trim peices and seals , i even have the vw/audi windscreen glue and the worst bit is i have to bring the car to them! so im thinking diy! anyone attempted this? or any windscreen fitters here to tell me its p155 easy to do? ,i have the workshop manual which tells you the glue bead thickness and the spacers etc etc so i prety much have everything apart from the confidence...

Hi, when mine was done last year I was advised to take it to the depot so that could get 2 guys to work on it correctly rather than one man and a van coming out. They were speaking from previous experience of corrado screen changes and I went with that because I wanted it done properly and as clean as poss. The guy at the place in ipswich was meticulous, cleaning up the frame of debris as he went. They even polished out some scratches left by the last fitter. This was an insurance job so only cost me the £75 excess but having seen the job done properly would def pay the experts myself. Just my opinion though. Jon

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

No insurance cover for it? Guess not if you bought one? Normally only £50 or £75 excess should get it done?

cheers, na no insurance, i took it off the roads last year for rust repair and respray, its almost finished :) just need to start putting it together, yea im thinking just suck it up and take it to them, even though i think its a blatent rip off! they even said if i drop it off in the morning i can pick it up at 2pm when the glue has gone off, so its almost £150 for not even 2hours work and all they have to do is fit my screen which i brought from them! all the prep on the shell is done so no old glue clean up a brand new screen and new seals and trim!

ah right thought idd be abit cheeky ;)

i came across this windscreen and trim kit awhile back and remembered he was a screen fitter! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160722238439&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123i messaged him for tips and advice and he got back to me and prety much made it very clear on how to install the glass! blady nice chap! hes even given me his number if i get into dificulty!

also says there robbing bsatrds wanting £150 for an already preped windscreen fitting..

fitted this tonight with the help of a very handy friend, went realy realy well!!!

step 1 :- prime ceramic black out band on screen and area on the lip on the car

2 :- assemble screen with trims and top seal

3 :- put screen in rough position useing suction pads, [in dry with no adhesive!]

4 :- adjust screen into position useing adjustment wedges from vw, makeing sure wedges stay put once the screen is located in position,

5 :- remove screen and apply adhesive in the V shape around perimeter of screen or car at a height of 13mm

6 :-position screen in and up against your set wedges, and make your final adjustments with the screen makeing sure the screen stays the correct

height/depth all the way around!! and your done! i'll post up pics to my thread tomo! so glad we did this , was deffinatley not worth me paying

£150!! think it took us around an hour and a half but we were takeing our time makeing sure it all fitted right and £12 for the screen adhesive

kit....