B11urlG60

G60 Hunting ????????

Hi all,

Im new to this forum,and could really do with some help with my G60.

Iv had my car for 6 years,2 years ago i decided to do a rebuild,im not a mechanic but i thought i would have a go.I have got it running now but it is hunting when it gets upto temp,iv tried checking the blue thermostate plug on top of the engine and nothing happens,would really appreciate it if someone could help me as this is the final stage then it is back on the road.

Thanks for your time, Si

Have you cleaned and re lubed your isv???

This is the usual source of hunting on idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sits on top of your rocker cover.

Has 2 pipes, one to the intake manifold the other goes to the boost return for the charger.

Soak it over night in carb cleaner.

Then lightly grease the valves inside it. Use non silicone based grease for it

How do i grease it,this was working before i took it all apart,is this a common problem?

I havnt got a return to the inlet its been blanked off from the charger,i normally use GT85 silicone based for the charger,do you think that would be ok?

Any other tips if that doesnt work?

no gt85 is not recomended for the charger. will prob have done some damage to your lamda probe, which may explain your hunting idle.

invest in some decent ptfe lubricant.

Shouldn't use any silicone based lubes on the intake side of things. It hurts the O2 sensor.

As for lubing the isv.

If you look in the inlets on it there should be a valve just depress it an use your lube of choice.

If I remember correctly there is a small Allen screw in one end you may need to tighten this as the internals become a bit 'loose' over time.

Another thought on the hunting.

Did you connect the ecu to throttle body vacuum hose to the correct place. There are 2 ports on the back of the throttle body.

Also make sure the cable is exactly 1 meter long as this won't help also

What ptfe lubricant should i use,iv been using this product since iv had the car and never had any problems, GT85 has ptfe in it?

As for the lambda sensor,I came across a second hand one,so changed it mainly because i had a de-cat pipe fitted,the mechanic couldnt get the original one out.Since doing the rebuild i have added a supersprint 4 branch manifold and put the sensor in the thread on the bottom rougly where the old one was,There is another whole higher than that though,would that make a difference?

I have disconnected the wires to it to see if that would do anything but nothing changed.

This problem seems to be heat related,its fine when you first start it,but when gets up to temp it hunts.

I hope this info helps Si

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Yes iv been using a pdf to put it all back together,i will recheck though

yes but it also contains silicone which is not good. ambersil ptfe is good stuff.

position of the sensor isnt overly important, provided its within the outlet mani readings wont be affected massively. they normally are in the correct place on aftermarket manis anyway. should over fuel a bit without the lambda being plugged in, so quite prob isnt the cause if its not curing the hunting.

id suggest checking for air leaks on inlet mani and outlet mani as when they get warm they may well open up slightly, im a fan of blue hylomar for gasket sealer. do check for leaks in the vacuum pipes too as these do wear over time.