Ralphead

Adrian Flux - scum

I called Heritage Quote yesterday who put me through to Call Connect, some shiny suited middle man shysters, who in turn pushed me on to Adrian Flux.

I explained that next week I was planning to change my car (the Corrado) on my existing policy and wanted a classic quote for it. After a half hour of checking everything from my occupation to which side I dress they finally came up with a quote. Classic cover for £430, barely any less than my proper policy with Chris Knott. I pointed this out and she came back suspiciously quickly with £365 for a standard policy, n.c.b and everything.

"Sounds good" I said. " I'll take a reference for that please and call you when I've changed the car on my current policy"

"Oh well my supervisor says that that quote's only good while your on the phone, if you call back later it'll be the full £430"

Could I believe this sh1t?! I'm getting pushed by the supervisor of a call centre?

Well yes I could. Insurance is legalised, nay legally enforced, racketeering. A brilliant racket at that.

I ran out of patience at this point.

"He's pushing me? Who does he think he is eh?" I said calmly. "If he thinks he can bully me into giving you my business right now then you're not getting it at all" Less calm now.. "You can thank your supervisor for wasting your time and my time ya scum" Click.

At least it's all recorded for training purposes..

That is getting real close to blackmailing. And around my waters, it's illegal to do as they did. Here there's a law that clearly states, that all prices must be openly given to be inspected by others. We have some possibilities to take that up and speak about it in the open, for example via an association of all insurance companies, and also an independant organisation for complaining these matters. We also have something called FDM - united drivers organisation, which have a bunch of persons employed to see these matters through, eventually in a court of law.

Next time, may I suggest you tape it, and remember to say that you tape it in the beginning, otherwise it will not be usuable in the court.

Anyway, not worth the hassle (which they know).

Here, we have the right to refuse any given insurance, even if we ordered it, with in a certain amount of time, say 8 days for example. This way, you have good time to read th4e small letters, and decide if the offer is something for you.

You may also chose to look at it this way: if that is how they work, then can you imagine the way the work if you should ever need them with a claim? Geeeez, nah, I think I would forget them and look elsewhere, free market and all ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

It was more than likely just the lass on the phone making it all up, she probably said let me see what I can do while i speak to my manger, puts you on hold. She never leaves her desk, files her nails for 2 minutes, has a srink of t then applies your discount, takes you off hold and makes it look like she's done you a favour begging for a cheaper quote on your behalf.

They never approach managers for discount, if they did the manager would never get any work done, the people on the phone have all the power to offer discount from the start, the only reason they don't is it probably effects their bonus or they can only use it on a ceritain % of calls a day, say 30%.

You should have asked for it in writing which they can't refuse and as you say all quotes are usually guaranteed for a period of 30 or 60 days. It's against the fsa to tell you you have to buy it now. Our should have asked for her name and said let me talk to this manager ;)

A reform would be good but I think the industry is too big for anyone in position to do so to dare to stick their neck out. Too risky.

The problem is that you, as a user of your own transport, are legally obliged to enter a contract with a company who full well know they can't be touched by individuals and are willing to take full advantage of it.

Redfox: Where are your waters? I'm guessing America. My lady's American and says that from her experiences insurance is whole lot more open there.

Taping is a good plan. I've tried it with some legal firms I'm working with but making them aware of the recording somehow seems to change their attitude.

I did suspect that there may have been no supervisor involved but I played along with it, saves getting sidetracked and any confrontation that could be taken by her as personal. I go with what your saying though Craig, commission payments... I'll try to have the foresight to ask for a letter next time. My dinner was burning and my patience was getting short.

In the UK, only one side needs to agree you can record a call - which means you can quite legally record any call where they've played you the 'calls may be recorded or monitored' message. You assume they're informing you they might record it but actually they're permitting you to record it too!

Might come in handy ;)

Not really surprised by their tactics, I had a doubleglazing salesman try that on me once. When I invited him to leave he started on a massive sweary rant about how I never wanted to buy any effing windows and had been wasting his time :lol:

Stone

Very handy.

I have triple glazing. Letting that be known after a few minutes has led to some interesting reactions from cold callers..

It's actually a much longer story but best told over a couple of cold ones :lol: The short version is never under any circumstances give any money to Safestyle UK, who are a massive shower of chancers. Being told to f myself by the regional boss was a particular highlight.

Having lived and owned a car in America I can safely say insurance there is worse than the UK. We flew from Sydney and landed in LA, went to the Chrysler dealer and bought a car, I was using my cousins address in Philadelphia as a mailing address. Went to the nearest insurance broker to insure and was told I couldn't as I was in California with no local address!

After a lot of messing around we managed to insure via an online site, they are not big on this in the states. We congratulated ourselves on the price being around the same as we would pay in the UK, then we realised that it was for only six months!

Being told to f myself by the regional boss was a particular highlight.

You have to feel a little sorry for him really..

I guess insurance is a four letter word in any language.