cupra tommy

Kr 16v cambelt whine

Hi,

I replaced the cambelt and tensioner on the corrado yesterday and as soon as I started the engine up,I noticed a rather loud whining sound that isnow coming from the cambelt,I thought maybe its a bit too tight,so I let the tension off a bit,yet it stil makes the the whine,The engine runs fine tho!

Any ideas as to what it could be??

Cheers Tom

still too tight? can you turn the belt 90 degrees (fairly easily) at the front?

you might have the v-belts too tight also, just take them off and run for a few seconds with only the timing belt attached if you want to make sure, the water won't over-heat the engine with the water pump not driven for a little while.

Cheers for the info,I gave it a go and turns out it was the metal backplate that is bolted behind the oil pump pulley was slightly bend causing it rub against the pulley! So all sorted

Also just a quick question on setting the ignition timing up!! Is it as simple as:

Getting the car up to temperature

Remove bung on gearbox

Get the point on gearbox to line up with the mark on flywheel using a timing light

Or have I missed something out??

Cheers tom

cool, glad you found it, I had a similar thing with a little cover plate on the gearbox, thought my new clutch was shot until I realised the cover was just scuffing the back of the flywheel.

yeah, with the timing just get it up to temp, make sure the rad fan isn't running and point the timing light in there, best to paint the marks with tippex or white paint first, tbh the aux pulley mark on the cambelt end is pretty much as accurate, again just mark the notch in the pulley and the arrow on the plastic timing cover white first.

I'd try the timing at 7 degrees advance rather than 6, and see if it pinks under load, if not, just leave it there and it'll feel a little bit livelier :)