OllieVR6

Motorcycle and/or wiring experts, some advise please

Hi folks, I have recently purchased an (old) non-running motorbike for a charity event. I'm pretty sure the problems I'm having starting it are electrical issues and I suspect the ignition switch is the problem. My first question is about the wiring table for ignition switch.

Can someone explain how I read this table please?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53441[/ATTACH]

This is how I read it:In position 1 two contacts are made, 'B' and 'IGN' then 'TL1' and 'TL2'. In position 2 'B' and 'TL2' are connected. So assuming position 2 is the final turn of the key, what happens to 'IGN' and 'TL1'? Are they not being bypassed?

I have attached the full diagram if you want to have a look. What I want to do is bypass the switch altogether to prove/disprove the switch is a problem, is this possible?

On old bikes there was a ignition possition for parking ligths only... Ussually bikes ignitions are off or on only... If you can get a better high res picture I can help

Yes tl2 is for the rear light... So its a two possition ignition, one for starting and the other for parking light. How old is it?

Can see it doesnt have starter motor... Lol... Its painfull, and two cylinders...

Have you checked for spark on the plugs? If theres nothing check live and earth on the coils while while cranking (if the battery is dead)...

And dont forget theres a engine kill switch aswell....

Thanks mate, I had a feeling you would provide awesome info!

Yes tl2 is for the rear light... So its a two possition ignition, one for starting and the other for parking light. How old is it?

1977 :D

Can see it doesnt have starter motor... Lol... Its painfull, and two cylinders...

Have you checked for spark on the plugs? If theres nothing check live and earth on the coils while while cranking (if the battery is dead)...

And dont forget theres a engine kill switch aswell....

It's a Honda CJ250T, parallel twin and it only has a kick start. No spark at the plugs but I have confirmed the battery is good and there is a live +12V getting to the ignition switch.

Ok... Check voltage at the coils. The module that connects to the spark plugs. 1977 nice...... Must be a nice sound when you get it started

5eaeeccd-a5f6-4fb0.jpg

I'm looking forward to finding out :)

It's not staying though, just got it for this event. We had to buy a motorcycle of less than 250CC for less than £400. This cost me £310 so I'm trying to get it running for nothing, I think there is points for being under budget. We have to ride them to Lands End and back in April!

Yes it does, and no they are well out of tolerance. They are next on the list after confirming the coils are powered.

Never seen points in action before, really simple yet really cool stuff!