markrtw

CV joint/bearing/brakes question

I currently have a 96 Golf GTI 16v Anniversary which appears to be very original and is at 123,465 miles (if only I had written this 9 miles ago). A few months ago the front discs & pads were worn out, so I changed them making sure the hubs were cleaned off properly before fitting the discs and all was well for a while.

Then I started getting what felt like a front left warped disc feeling when braking. It slowly got worse (but sometimes if breaking hard for example, it was OK). So I got some more discs & pads and did the job again. When I took the old (new) discs off I checked them out and they were not warped. Funny thought I, but fitted the new ones anyway and all was well again for a short while. Then the warped disc vibrations returned and after checking - it’s not the discs.

The braking vibration has got worse recently after hitting a pothole and I am about to fit new top mounts, wishbone bushes, track rod ends, bottom ball joints as all are worn and I can hear a little knocking when trundling over bumps, broken surfaces etc.

It would seem to me that the disc and hub must be moving together within the calliper. Therefore the bearings must be knackered allowing the hub to move about, OR (as there seems to be no bearing noises or play in it when pulling the wheel about with it jacked up) could it be the CV joint?

Your thoughts please as it’s bugging the hell out of me and I would like to get the parts lined up for when I have the suspension in bits. Oh, and is a Corrado VR6 hub the same as the Golf 16v's as I have one of them spare.

Many thanks.

it could be the hub splines, bearings usually make a droning noise long before they start to break up.

CV joints usually show themselves when turning on full lock slowly, the ball bearings jump out of the worn races and they click.

i have had this similar problem on my corrado, and another car i don't want to name! firstly the corrado issue was due to the ball joints worn this also caused the feel of my wheels being out of balance, the other car was the bearings i would change them as a first, small play can not always be detected by hand wobbling the wheels but the milaege and age would suggest them plus when a cv joint goes you get a clunk & play on take up of drive and the usual knocking on cornering --- change the bearings and ball joints first! - hopefully you will cure.