Lee Rees

Will this VAGCOM cable work

In the clinical sense, no because early Corrodo's pre 1992 use an analogue sytem interface and it won't work with 1988 - 1992ish cars.

If you intentions is a Corrado post 1992, then yes but note the limitations. Its shareware that you will get, not a licenced copy from Ross-Tech' distributor Gendan. For that it will need to be registered with Ross-Tech at a cost.

The one in read are really what you need to use VCDS fully on a Corrado. So shareware will be limited.

Some of the common differences between versions and between VCDS-Lite as Fully Registered versus Shareware:

[Shareware:

Cannot do AutoScan

Won't display text for all fault codes

No Basic Settings (so no TBA, Xenon levelling, etc or checking timing on TDI's)

No Adaptation Saving (so no changing of locking/lights/horn behavior)

No Output Tests

No tech support from Ross-Tech

Limitations of VCDS-Lite compared to VCDS even if Fully Registered:

No Generic OBD-II

Won't work with CAN-Bus vehicles

Fewer fault code definitions and label files

No built-in Activation (you'll be limited to a single PC)

No Advanced Measuring Blocks

No Acceleration Measurement

Plus the other limitation for the future is that on more modern VW's post 2002, CAN Bus is not accessible. For this you are buying for just the present.

The Corrado I'm buying is a K reg. It has a permenant ABS light so I'm presuming it's the pump.

Are you saying that my car doesn't have a diagnostics unit? The main reason for getting the unit was so that I can get the car upto mot standards.

An identical unit is regularly sold on eBay for

I believe an older version of Ross-Tech's software is available as freeware which works just as well for the basic sort of features you need.

Stone

Mate I brought the clear blue coloured one that stonejag mentions above for the same reason, to further investigate an abs fault. It was fine with engine faults though would not access the abs controller.

I then invested in a gen ross cable, that was obviously fine, but........... I've since found out that the cheap cable only needs some certain port changes on the lap top to allow it to work with the abs controller!

See- http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?56482-ABS-VAG-COM-too-many-communications-error

And it works too!!!

---------- Post added at 7:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:03 PM ----------

First thing to check mind would be to see if you have the correct connector under the gator cover.

Mine doesn't talk to the ABS controller even with the port changes you describe. Like I said, it varies ;) For the price of a couple of pints it's worth a punt though.

Stone

Mine doesn't talk to the ABS controller even with the port changes you describe. Like I said, it varies ;) For the price of a couple of pints it's worth a punt though.

Stone

Oh right, they are pretty flakey, but yes, def worth a go :)

Cheers guys, my cable arrived a few days ago (blue cable), haven't been able to connect it yet as I'm waiting for the OBD converter block.