Sign in to follow this  
munkay

Best way/product to use for cleaning engine bay?

Anyone know what products are best to clean up under the engine?

Not intending on a full chrome effort - just some elbow grease and something to remove all the grime :)

As a biker i have used many products fpr doing this.

The oldest and one of the best is ...GUNK..its really good but likes a good brushing in too but the best thing about it is the smell of it after on a hot engine...mmmmmmm. :lol: worst thing about it is that you and your clothes will stink of it for ages.

JIZER is another good one,slightly cheaper but doesnt stink as much but ya dont get the nice smell on yer engine :(

Anything you buy from halfords will really work but get something liquid as the foam stuff will not get right into all the cracks and crevasses.

Most of all buy a good hard brush(degreasing brush).And get a big tin of wd40 for afterwards to spray on all the electrics.

And for a quick shine use Autoglym vyinl and rubber care over the wet engine.

A jet wash helps but but you have to watch all the electrics and components.

Hope this is of somehelp. :)

Cheers Skid - GUNK was what I used to use on my old YZ125 come to think of it :)

Don't much like the sound of Jizz on my engine tho :/

:)

image.php?u=4352&dateline=1078846752

Sorry..couldn't resist.

Sanj.

p.s. i use autosol on my inlet manifold and seems to work fine with some wet and dry.

My dads got this great big industrial steam line pipe outside his factory that i use to clean my wheels with....one quick 2sec dust and all the brake dust is off!

Maybe i could use that on the bay, but its soo hot it may melt the plastic parts. :?

Using the MC2 from the recent Wax Wizard GB,

Warm the engine for 10 mins and then switch off. Begin by misting Degreaser (If ordered) over the engine. Then spray MC2 (has a very orangey aroma) all over the top of the engine and to the underside of the bonnet.

Once this has been done, lower bonnet but do nut shut fully. Now wash the car using a pressure washer to loosen all road dirt etc.

Open bonnet and with the engine still switched off, pressure wash the engine bay and the underside of the bonnet. Now check to see if all grease and dirty black Cosmoline (transit paraffin based wax) has been removed. If required reapply MC2 and allow to soak in for a few minutes. Now pressure wash again. Be careful not to aim the pressure washer jet onto the intercooler or alarm housing!!!

When done, restart engine but do not rev it, let it merely idle now until the coolant fan cuts in at least twice and then switch off again. Now using an old towel, mop up excess water from battery, air filter etc.

If you have been supplied with Swift, mist this over the wet engine, in place of towel drying. This product will turn white when it meets water. Allow the engine to idle or take for a driven and the engine heat will allow the Swift to dry. Net result awesome finish. With a tissue soak up the odd puddle of Swift for a professional finish.

Swift can be used for a variety of jobs by design. As it is water based and non silicone it will do the VW dashes a treat without the shiny glare of silicone based products. It will also clean door shuts etc., and well say the palstic sill tread plate etc. Merely mist onto the area and wipe with a cloth. It will give a dark finish (as its wet) but then dries to a naturally satin finish.

Look out for a GB of Swift, if there is enough interest..

John