Econis

weird speedo issue

hello all, i have a 92 rado 2.8 vr6. i live in the states. i bought the car nearly 3 years back and then my head gasket went and needless to say the motor went caput. 2 years later i finnaly am able to put a new motor in it which im in the middle of. when it was running the mph was not correct. i have an mph cluster but when it reads 60 mph im really traveling at 60kph. now my main wiring harness was all butchered up leaving me only to believe that some had done an engine swap before but now im not sure at all. my vin says its a 93 and body says 92. i thought it might the speedo gear in the trans but it would seem they are all the same ratio? i also can not find my ecu code anywhere thinking maybe its a canadian car with a canadian ecu? ecu codes are 0 261 203 044 / 021 906 258 ba. the car when i bought it has a coil pack on it which i thought that it should have a distributor, which lead me to believe that the engine was changed for one with a coil pack and thus the butchered harness but with out a proper ecu that wouldn't work either. the only other option would be the vss, but im also not sure that those are not the same part everywhere as well. so im really stumped. i would appreciate any suggestions or the like, and if i left anything unclear im more than happy to to try and alleviate any questions.

I may be wrong, but your speedo will be electronic not cog driven (like an A2 Golf is). I've heard of this problem before, I think it might be a bad earth or something. Definitelt electrical issue.

hth,

Jon.

i was under the impression that the vss reads off a gear in the trans - which was the gear i was referring to. i also remember something like my tach and some mfa functions also don't work which may have something to do with it.