Imgolfman

Cv joint keeps snapping!!!

Hi all. Boosted out of the petrol station last Saturday night (paid first) and my drivers (lhd) inner cv joint snapped. No worries. Had a new one fitting last monday (part was from our motor factors) and all was good till I went flying across our local ind est yesterday to see if I'd fixed my boost leak and the same one snapped again! Wtf! Are the only ones to fit genuine or have I just had a dodgy one?

I certainly would only fit genuine items - but then I wouldn't expect the other ones to snap either!

I wouldn't expect one to snap, let alone two. But if you're dropping the hammer from a standing start, the power/torque will find the weakest link in the chain.

G60 is what you call "under engineered" on particularly the early ones if its one of those. Right from the start as new cars, they use to snap clean through all the wheel bolts on a wheel with no warning.

Fit only OEM parts in the running gear drive chain as replacements.

£96 from the steelers so I've bin told gsf do good ones. Going try one of them I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Managed get a genuine 1 for £45 so I'm laughing. My mate (proper Mechanic with garage) fit the first 1 so he should of done it correctly (hopefully). Sent the knackered 1 bk and my mate is doing this 1 for free so hopefully happy days...

See if you can get a lighter right foot installed. I hear it's cheaper, but I've never been able to get it to work :shrug:

It's pretty low yer but normal (on my past mk2 golfs), they give abit of warning or start knackering the gear box seals. We think it was a dodgy part but I'm going to shorten my shafts at the weekend just incase.