iow_corrado_g60

DIY Windscreen Replacement

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well, I havent been on for an age, the mk3 VR is now in the garage and I have just brought a lupo 1.0L for work runabout and I'm after a little advice.

The Windscreen has been totally bodged in the past, holes in the sealant everywhere, and due to this its leaking, so I've brought some proper windscreen sealant from frosts.

And come this weekend I want to remove the existing sealant, clean the channels out properly and then re-seal.

Any advice before cracking on guys?

Cheers in advance

Andy

iv done this, its time consumeing, but its deffinalty worth doing DIY if you have the time and space and arent one of them people that give up on the first hurdle, take a look at my thread or forum search windscreen replacment, and have a butchers,

your need a windscreen wire saw and a windscreen knife blade will help!, then to re fit is a little trickier, your need window adjustment wedges, and basicly you dry fit the screen with the trims fitted and align it in the correct place and butt the wedges up against the screen then you remove the screen and apply a bead of adhesive around the complete edge and then install up aginst your wedges {so its in the correct postion!} you just have to press the screen down to the correct hieght and then make sure it doesnt sink below that hieght when the glue is setting, also your windscreen side plastic trims may not come out in one peice! as mine were glued in and had to be broken, but there still available from vw , any questions p.m me or post them up here with pics to help anyone else that doesnt want to pay £500 + for some guy to do it for you..

VW owner cheers for that, it seems the last owner had done a little bodge which i've hopefully fixed now.

Basically they must of thought the seal was leaking and with this in mind the covered the whole channels up with clear mastic which I have now removed,

this has then shown me that the seal underneath was the original and there should be no mastic on top of the seal as that is the channel for the water to run off/down.

I have removed the top strips on the roof and on the windscreen end, the original seal on both sides has some slight room between the body and seal,

I think this is where the water is entering the car, and this is where I have applied a very little mastic on either side I will try post a pic soon as I'm sure this post probably makes no sense at all.

Cheers for your help