mpa90

Door lock problems after door handle repair

I've been browsing the forum recently....just bought a 1993 Corrado SLC for my son as a first car. I've had a bunch of VW's and Audi's in the past. Now that we've been fixing the small things that his new car needed I figured I post my first question.

I just replaced the drivers side door handle. After some minor fitting I got everything working...so I thought! Now the drivers door wont lock. The lock seems very stiff and will unlock again. All the other door locks work correctly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Krishen, It will lock when central locking is used but then unlock instantly.

I think I got it figured out. I had to fit a new door handle since the last owner destroyed his when trying to repair it. The door handle was listed as for the Corrado but it needed quite a bit of fitting. It looked like the striker was putting too much tension on the opening latch. I had to grind down the striker to lessen the tension. It took a ton of trial and error but it finally worked. Hopefully I wont have any other problems with that door since I'm tired of taking it apart and putting it back together!

Thanks guys!