Sign in to follow this  
red16v

Squeeky Rear Brakes

Hi got a 1990 1.8 16v Hearing a high pitched squeeky noise which I think is the rear brakes, only does it when I slow right down and then start moving again, it then clears. Comes and goes. Guessing it might be the rear brake cailers sticking, only had the C for 2 weeks and previous owner 'claimed' he'd changed the rear calipers 12 months or so ago.... hmmm brakes/handbrake all work fine.

Also the rear aerial lead is not connected and just hangs out of the ppillar lining, has standard female type connector on it, anyone know how its routed to the front i.e. is there another lead it plugs into beneath one of the seats etc to meet the stereo aerial lead on route to the front?

Any help much appreciated.

Hi got a 1990 1.8 16v Hearing a high pitched squeeky noise which I think is the rear brakes, only does it when I slow right down and then start moving again, it then clears. Comes and goes. Guessing it might be the rear brake cailers sticking, only had the C for 2 weeks and previous owner 'claimed' he'd changed the rear calipers 12 months or so ago.... hmmm brakes/handbrake all work fine.

Does your handbrake lever feel "loose" when the handbrake is in the off position ? If it does then the chances are that the calipers are sticking. Some people try to compensate for this by tightening the cables at the lever end. This is totally the wrong thing to do & will cause your rear pads to wear out very quickly.

The "squeaking/squealing" noise that you have is caused by "dry" pads. Remove the brakepads & coat the back of them with copper grease.

BTW - welcome to the forum :D

I have that very same problem with my car, just as you roll to a stop and then move off slowly you hear the "droning" noise. I think it ic a sign of the rear caliper on it's way out. Am gonna get it checked out when it is serviced this month.

cheers stevemac! handbrake feels fine in the down position, I'll start with the copper grease and then investigate the handbrake if it persists!

Make sure the cables haven't been tightened at the lever end. This would cause the lever to be tight while the brakes would still be binding.

The nuts at the lever end are just there to take up the cable slack & not for adjustment purposes.