hrdwdpro

Hello and thanks in advance, new here, distro issues.

Hello I'm new to this forum but not to my car and VW. I spent the better part of the second half of the day trying to get my timing set on my g60 mkI digi1 car. I have deleted the supercharger, cut the bracket down so that it is alternator support and tensioner, added a vr6 water pump pulley. I have been trying to get the timing right when installing my new timing belt and even though I never moved the distributor I just couldnt get it to run the way it did before winter storage. I have done a full compression test which turned out very well, almost perfect. I have also checked out all of my ignition components which cleared testing perfectly. After hours of setting and resetting the cam,in my driveway, in the rain, very unhappy, tooth up one, tooth down one, you get the picture. I finally decided to turn the distributor. Whenever I touched the plug the engine would die. I decided to pull the distro and I found the pin that runs horizontally through the gear to be protruding on one side and worn down pretty badly. I already plan on replacing the distro but my question is about the pin. Is that the magnetic pickup and the pin that holds the gear on? Is it just a pin to hold the gear on? Or is it just the magnetic pickup? What would the pin have contacted internally to wear away? I work in an air cooled shop part time and we have many distributors on the shelf but there has never been a g60 through the shop. Is there another model that used the same distributor as the g60? I know I can check part numbers and I will in the morning but if word comes back that it is g60 only, I will not waste my time and I will order one first thing in the morning.

Answering my own question so that this is not a wasted thread. I usually ask questions when tired and out of brain power. My distributor is a four window. The magnetic pickup is at the top and reads through the four windows. All 8v 1.8 engines used the four window distributor because they are batch fire. digi1 is batch fire. Motronic uses sequential fire and a single window distributor. The pin on the bottom only hold on the gear. I had many of these at the shop and I am good to go. I do however have another question. what do the numbers on the pickup at the top of the distributor indicate? My distributor has a 29 and 32 the distributor that I am looking to put in has a 28 and a 30.