STU175

Anyone know the size of flywheel side core plugs on a g60 or part no?

im after a little advise...

today i noticed a small water leak from from my car.

upon inspection it appears to be coming from between the block and gearbox exiting via the flywheel inspection plate that bolts to side of gearbox???

i have double checked its definatley not any pipes from above the gearbox/head??

how can this be surely theres only the crankseal between the gearbox and block and would leak oil not water then.

is there any coolant core plugs behind the flywheel?

cant see anything else wrong runs well no oil in the coolant, oil looks fine on the dipstick?

Help looks like gearbox off to investigate.....

Edited by STU175

i had a hairline crack on the water flange that bolts to the gearbox side of the head a while back. took me a while to find what the cause of me losing coolant was. Just an idea but i'd definetly take the flange off and check before going to the extent of removing the box. hope this helps

i had a hairline crack on the water flange that bolts to the gearbox side of the head a while back. took me a while to find what the cause of me losing coolant was. Just an idea but i'd definetly take the flange off and check before going to the extent of removing the box. hope this helps

there are some freeze plugs on that end of the block here is an image

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/vdubpimpx/noname.jpg

yeah thats what i thought at first had it off aswell all fine.

im not that fortunate for it to be an easy to get to part like that!!

thanks for your input anyway m8

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

there are some freeze plugs on that end of the block here is an image

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/vdubpimpx/noname.jpg

Ah that looks like it could be the culprit.

is it like the core plugs on back of engine?

i cant seem to see any of these holes or plugs on etka or bentley manual?

dont suppose any one know what they are called or even a part number?

Thanks for the photo

right gearbox,clutch and clutch pressure plate is is off...

next problem i cant undo the flywheel bolts.. the flywheel just turns aswell....

any tips apart from using an airgun cause i dont have access to one??

HELP

Put a bolt in one of the holes for the gearbox back in the block... Then use a crow bar to hold the flywheel against the bolt........

Put a bolt in one of the holes for the gearbox back in the block... Then use a crow bar to hold the flywheel against the bolt........

ah knew someone would have a trick for this one thanks floppyman

i have just spoken to vw about replacement core plugs.

they can see a few different size ones but cant tell me which ones i need for flywheel side of block as in link above

i havnt got the flywheel off yet so cant measure.

can any one tell me which size they would be or even better a part no???

thanks stu

---------- Post added at 4:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:25 PM ----------

bump for updated title

Don't understand the VW stance. There are 4 core plugs at 36.6mm and one at 14mm. The 14mm is at the cambelt end along with one 36.6mm. At the gearbox end there are 3 core plugs used at 36.6mm. So two 036 103 113A is what you need for in behind the Flywheel. This has superceded the original 36.6mmm spare core plug 059 103 113. Or as below use the older part (same 36.6mm).

This is the original spare...... 059 103 113.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-6mm-Crankcase-Freeze-Frost-Plug-cylinder-block-059103113-VW-AUDI-universal-/170794859699.

Or http://www.volksbits.co.uk/servlet/the-11651/36.6mm-Crankcase-Freeze--fdsh-/Detail

Its a standard core plug VW use in all their engines.

Edited by RW1

Don't understand the VW stance. There are 4 core plugs at 36.6mm and one at 14mm. The 14mm is at the cambelt end along with one 36.6mm. At the gearbox end there are 3 core plugs used at 36.6mm. So two 036 103 113A is what you need for in behind the Flywheel. This has superceded the original 36.6mmm spare core plug 059 103 113. Or as below use the older part (same 36.6mm).

This is the original spare...... 059 103 113.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-6mm-Crankcase-Freeze-Frost-Plug-cylinder-block-059103113-VW-AUDI-universal-/170794859699.

Or http://www.volksbits.co.uk/servlet/the-11651/36.6mm-Crankcase-Freeze--fdsh-/Detail

Its a standard core plug VW use in all their engines.

thanks for the info.vw never seem to be that helpful!

flywheel now off !

what i cant under stand now is i have 4 core plugs under the flywheel on side of block?

-the two with the arrows in link above i measured at 24mm?

-one 14mm

-one 36mm

hopefully i can get right ones now with this info

Edited by STU175