Jim Bowen

KW suspension/Late top mount problem

I remember mentioning this nut and the fitting of bush when i fitted my KW's and people seemed to think it wasn't an issue.

I've had a knocky kinda noise in my suspension for a while, suspected it was steering rack, also the steering would almost lock sometimes as you go round a corner, like something was catching then releasing, thats why i stopped driving it.

Basically i think this nut is wrong, its the flat one that sits on top of spring plate

2012-03-27181327.jpg

It interferes with the rubber donut

2012-03-27181352.jpg

Underside of rubber, you can't see it but there is a bit of metal in there, exposed where that nut has been rubbing the top mount.

2012-03-27181412.jpg

When i look closely at that nut it has marks on it, like its been catching this bit of metal in the bush.

I'm thinking of using a different nut on top there.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?58816-KW-Coilovers-and-Top-mount-nuts-query&highlight=mount

Isnt, that the nut that sit right on top for the original suspension. From memory the nut that holds the bearing onto the top plate its the same but without the shoulder. Then you get a nylon locking nut to go right on top inside the engine bay.

Though not sure the shouldered nut would stop the steering from turning.

The nut should go on top of the rubber mount not under it!!

That is why. Top be honest it must have been scary to drive like that.

Jay

it was on top, but as you put the weight of car on it, then tighten things up, it pulled through the rubber and ended up working its way sort of half under, half over the rubber bit.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

i have the nyloc one as well, put that on top once the metal bit you see in garage bay goes on.

surely you need some nut to hold the spring cap on and tension in the spring while you fit the whole shock to car

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

To be honest it must have been scary to drive like that.

Jay

it was a bit weird, going round a corner and the steering sticking then suddenly releasing....

Just wondering if this caused all my knocky steering issues and my whole mission of replacing the steering rack wasn't required :lol: but i've started so i'll finish!!

Thats correct though mate, the nut (non shouldered nut) holding ontop of the bearing does sit inside the rubber top mount. But there should be another nut with no shoulder from your original suspension - this holds the bearing on the top plate. Then then when you lower the car onto the suspension the nut goes inside the top mount. Then the top plate goes ontop held in place with teh nylon nut KW supplied. You just need to swap the shouldered nut with the one with no shoulder.

Edited by Critical_Mass

yes mate, but i think its flatter than the pic suggests. Like i say its like the one with the shoulder but without the shoulder - if that makes sense?

tbh i can't remember what bits i had when i took standard suspension off, was so long ago, am sure that funny nut i have was one of them though.

i might just source new bolts that fit, without any silly shapes on them.

---------- Post added at 2:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:29 PM ----------

Been playing around and assembling it with the nut on top of the bush seems to fix the problem :lol: i think my issue was i used the above diagram when fitting them before.

Taken pics anyway

Order of bit to go on.

2012-03-28144142.jpg

i had to wind tension out of coilovers using the lower spring seat, so top spring cap is loose

2012-03-28144405.jpg

Bearing on first, no nut to hold it on

2012-03-28144423.jpg

Bush on top of bearing

2012-03-28144434.jpg

Then the silly nut, quite awkward to tighten, i only put it on finger tight so far

2012-03-28144536.jpg

Metal thing and nyloc nut on last, Once fitted to car of course

2012-03-28144552.jpg

:lol: can't believe i had it wrong all this time, i do remember when i put them on that something didn't seem right, but my mate talked me out of taking them off again.

Still going to take subframe and steering rack off though, even though i reckon this was the cause of the majority of my steering issues