cupra tommy

16v ignition timing!!

Hiya me again,

just after a little advice,finally going to have some time to set up ignition timing on the corrado this afternoon,I know that u need to line up the 6BTDC mark on the flywheel with the pointer on gearbox housing,what I was wondering is:

I have a timing gun with the advance feature do I dial in 6 degrees on advance or because i have a mark to line it up with do I leave on zero,and move the dizzy til they both line up???

As I'm just worried that ill dial 6 degrees in and end up 12 degrees in advance ?

And also if have to leave the timing gun at zero,does that mean in theory if dial a degree into the gun,I can advance the timing by 7 degrees??

Cheers

there's a 6 degree advance and TDC mark on the flywheel, just line up the first mark, TDC, (as the flywheel rotates anti-clockwise) and then dial in 7 degrees on your gun, you can double check by using the cambelt end pulley to check the timing too, I'd mark every mark up with tippex or white paint first, including the arrow on the plastic timing belt cover and the V in the gearbox casing, makes it much easier to see everything.

you might even find it'll run OK with a little more than 7 degrees, especially if you use super unleaded, if it pinks up hill on full throttle at low speed in 4th or 5th then knock back the timing a little.

Edited by davidwort

Thank you,though I'm a bit confused now I have a line on the flywheel which is the 6 degrees,then I have a little line with a zero above,which is TDC,which one do I line up before dialing 7 degrees in?? And when u say line up do you mean using timing gun set at 0 degrees advance?? Or just turn engine over by hand til the marks line up??

Cheers

Ooops forget first question just skim read your reply an missed u clearly saying TDC mark!! So do I line up the TDC with timing gun set at zero?? Once that's done and I know dizzy set at 0 degrees advance then then dial in 7 degrees and line the TDC mark up again with pointer on the gearbox,by turning the dizzy???

Edited by cupra tommy

get the mark lined up at tdc by running the engine and turning the gun's adjuster with the strobe on the mark, that will give you your current advance, you can then adjust the distributor to get the desired advance, and moving the gun's adjuster to bring the mark lined up at TDC again to read off the advance (at least the needle gauge type I have works like this),

6deg mark is only there for non-adjustable guns.