Portent

Retro fitting heated pads to cloth recaros

I'm looking into retro fitting heated elements to my cloth recaros. But I don't want to use an after market kit. So I'm interested in using an OEM loom, relay and switches. So ideally I would like to fit OEM heated pads. I have a few questions:

1) Is it likely to devalue the recaros? I am intending to use original parts to mitigate this, although cloth recaros weren't heated of course.

2) Are the heated pads likely to reduce comfort? The leather seats are obviously slightly thicker and so you don't notice the pad. They are supremely comfy and I don't want to jeopardise that.

3) Does anyone know if the original heated pads are still available new? Failing that, does anyone know which other models are likely to have them? I could of course strip them from some Corrado leather seats but that would be expensive and addalso ruin rare parts. So sourcing them from another common car of the era would be much better.

4) Could the heat affect the cloth in any way? Ie discolour them. I appreciate later cars have heated cloth but I don't want to damage rare seats.

5) Any other reason why it's a bad idea?

Edited by Portent

i'm 99% sure that you cant buy this from vw, and if you could i bet it would cost a bloody fortune. You could get some from off a wrecked vw golf maybe??

or i would seriously look into these kits http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Carbon-Fibre-Element-Heated-Seat-Retrofit-Kit-5-level-steps-switch-U-K-/370547872127?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56465fd17f switch would look cool fitted by the handbrake on either side??

Haha yes a jacket is an option although the Corrado heaters are so good that it's not really a temperature thing. I just love heated seats in the winter with the roof and windows open. There's something nice about heat on your back and bum rather than blowing into your face.

Thanks for the link Karl. Yes that would be an easier option but I want to use original switches and ideally original loom. So i think looking at old Golf interiors for the heated pads might be the way forward.