RowanVW

Advice needed - Intermittent Problem - What is it!!!? Thanks!

Hi all,

After 7 trouble free months of Corrado ownership I ruined it by spending money on the car even though it wasn't broken - stupid I know - by buying some new HT leads.

After fitting these the car ran fine, even completing the 220 mile trip back down south and then a weeks worth of journeys to work until on the Friday, it broke down right on the gates of work and I had to be pushed in...

Symptoms: What felt like a drop to 3 cylinders, then 2 cylinders, then 1 before refusing to start at all - with the accompanying loss off power and spitfire soundtrack during its dying breaths.

After speaking to the recovery man and doing a head gasket test (which passed) we decided it was timing related/ ignition system and after changing the dizzy cap and rotor arm the car started and ran perfectly... So I decided to go for a drive to Tesco whereby the car decided to go for about 5 miles and then break again, with exactly the same symptoms and I just about rolled to the top of a hill and after 30 minutes of turning the key and fiddling under the bonnet called the recovery again.

After putting the phone down needless to say I turned the key and it started perfectly allowing me to limp home and cancel the breakdown assistance but unfortunately having used up my allowance for the year!

I obviously don't want to drive the car until I am sure its fixed - so would like some advice trouble shooting...

It is a 2.0 16v ABF engine, with full electronic injection - New coil, HT leads, Dizzy and Rotor arm, Spark plugs, Battery, Starter, Air Filter and Oil.

What could cause this issue, I wondered if it may be only when the car is warm that it fails? Also it seemed to fail both times when under load going up a hill.

Crank Sensor/ Air Temp/ Throttle Body/ Oil Temp Sensor/ Water Sensor? I have no idea where to start - I believe I have the cars OBDII wired up but don't have vagcom so if anyone in the RH20 area would help trouble shoot it would be appreciated!

Any old school trouble shooting advice would also be appreciated a lot!

Thanks for reading that - hopefully someone knows whats going on!

Elliot - where are you?! Elliot on here had what I think were similar problems with his 16v at a Scottish meet last year. Hopefully he'll be along soon. I can't quite remember what it was, although it's probably posted somewhere. Will have a look,

J

---------- Post added at 8:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:56 PM ----------

Found it

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?58360-Elliott-s-93-Scottish-valver . Check his post on 30th September, worth a try.

sounds like a sensor to me ? i would definately by a scanner, they are pretty cheap and will give you an error could for a faulty sensor, bought mine on ebay for about £20 and it diagnosed cam and crank sensor faults.

Thanks for the replies all! ~The car was off the road for 6 months so I took the oppurtunity to check all connection + WD40 and wire brush them so I should hope they are still ok... All of the earth straps seem fine for the age of the car.

I would like to buy a VAGCOM scanner, the last cheap one I bought didn't work though, could you point me in the direction of the one you got D3927?

Would be great - Thanks again... :)

Sometimes you need to play around with the USB serial port settings to get the cheap cables to work. Took a few tries to get mine going but once I'd found the right settings it's been stable.

Ahhh, well I spent ages on it, scouring forums and trying loads of different things, then the light on it stopped working and it wouldn't connect at all! I think I am going to be trying one of the cheap cables again so I can get the car back up and running!

Might have just been unlucky the first time!

Got a new cable, much better this time I must say!

Codes;

00525 - O2 Sensor Voltage Low

17978 - Engine Start Blocked By Immobiliser

Ignoring the second one as my car always starts at first it must be a problem with the O2 sensor -

I have never heard of the Lambda stopping the car from running though, or stopping the engine run on all cylinders - Surely it just means that the car will run more unefficiently as it struggles to balance lean and rich...

Does anyone know whether removing the battery causes the codes to be reset as I have just replaced a dead battery?

Cheers!?

Run the car until it cut out again;

It cut out at between 70 and 75 degrees leading me to think it must be temperature related, no new error codes though, so no idea whats failing!

For future reference - Will be shortly replacing the crank sensor - will update with results...