G60  CS

Wont Run..................HELP

Hi

I have a 92 G60 which was running fine until I collected it from a bodyshop yesterday. The car started fine first time but didn't rev smoothly I backed it out the workshop, it was running really badly, like it had a timing fault. I parked it up, it stalled, I lifted the bonnet to have a quick look, nothing obvious, went to start it again and nothing ?? Turns over fine wont start. RAC came out didn't have a clue, thought I might have a fault with the ignition module and was "fairly" sure I wasn't getting a spark. The car is fitted with a Toad ai606 cat 1 alarm (fitted 6 months ago) which hasn't given me any probs so far, any ideas ?

I recently had an auto electrician out as I had a power drain and he said my ignition switch was faulty even tho the car appeared to be operating normally, he said they break up inside, and I think he said it makes a switched live circuit into a permanent live circuit. I bought the switch but hadn't got around to fitting it, car still drove ok everything worked fine on the key, could this be the culprit ??????

cheers

Edited by G60 CS
additional information added

I'm not sure a faulty ignition switch would make it run badly though? A dodgy switch usually just makes it impossible to start.

If it was running badly and then stalled it could be a faulty coilpack maybe? Try taking out all the HT leads and putting them back in again

I'm not sure a faulty ignition switch would make it run badly though? A dodgy switch usually just makes it impossible to start.

If it was running badly and then stalled it could be a faulty coilpack maybe? Try taking out all the HT leads and putting them back in again

Thanks for the reply, no coilpack it's a 92 G60, tried the leads

The same thing happened to me as i was driving along it would horrible thenn fine then horrible again until one day on the motorway it just cut out :( tried new leads plugs dizzy the lot to find it was the ecu relay vw still have them its ran fine ever since

does sound like ignition coil, follow dizzy king lead bakc to bulkhead to find it :)

worth changing ignition switch anyway, does the fuel pump buzz? fuel pump relays often burn out as they take a big load, changing this and ecu relay may well be a good idea anyway.

Cheers just been out and bought a 24mm socket so I can take the steering wheel off so I can then get at the ignition switch screw. Am pretty sure fuel pump buzzes. Is there a way to test the coil ? Just rang TPS and theres only one left in the UK if I want genuine and its dam expensive. what's anyone think of getting a coil from Euro's or GSF ?

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

GSF reckon they have an OE coil which is about half the price of VW so gonna try that. Anyone know numbers for the relays ?

Ok so got the relays and a coil, already had the ignition switch, battery's out and on charge. First Im going to try and do the ignition switch, have the cowling off, wires disconnected, steering wheel off, boss off, stalks off but cant see how I'm going to get at the screw that holds the switch into the barrel ! Do I have to take the barrel off completely to get at the screw ?

i will have a look for you when i get in the car after work for the ecu relay mate

cheers Sean, I have already bought the fuel pump relay & TPS tell me the ECU relay number is 30, however I have another fuse panel at home and the ECU relay on there is 32 ?

All sorted now thanks for the replies turned out to be the ignition switch and the fuel pump relay

Doh ! spoke too soon, still not fixed, now it starts ok but after a couple of min drives all jerky then will cut out and wont start, if i leave it for a while it will start again. When it starts playing up the fuel pump relay was clicking which it isn't now I've stepped it out

Edited by G60 CS

when it won't start are you still getting a spark? One other thing I thought of was the hall sender on the distibutor, perhaps there's a damaged/dodgy wire to/from it.

Hi David

initally the issue was no spark and refused to start, changing the ignition switch fixed that and it ran perfectly for 2/3 days then it started playing up again, I noticed that the fuel pump relay was clicking when it was playing up so I changed that now it doesnt click but the car still plays up. I havnt had the chance yet to see if theres a spark when the car fails. Is there a process for checking the hall sender ?

Definitely fixed now turned out to be ECU relay have now put nearly 200 trouble free miles on it so all good