Pete_GTI

G60 takes a loooooong time to get warm

My G60 seems to take forever to get up to temp. It has a mocal oil cooler fitted so the oil temp rarely gets over 90 but some days it wont even get up to 80 on the 16mile run to the office???

The oil cooler was fitted before i bought her so im wondering if the MOCAL sandwich plate fitted is working properly or whether or not i have the plate without the thermostat fitted. The previous owner said it was the 'thermostatic' jobbie but im begining to doubt this. If mine wasn't the thermostatic one, does anyone know if this would cause the oil temp to be low? I guess as the oil is always flowing thru the cooler?

Does anyone else run a mildly tuned raddo with a 13row mocal? What kind of oil temps do you see?

Another problem is the water temp gauge rarely moves off 70 unless stuck in traffic. I've only ever seen it go up to about 85-90 and this goes back down to 70 once moving again. The temp sender is a new vag one. I vaguely remember the previous owner saying something about a lower temp thermostat being fitted so if this was say a 70degree thermostat, could that be the cause?

Its just strange that although all the gauges suggest the engines running cool, i really don't think it is. I know g60 run pretty hot anyway but i always get that 'warm' smell when i pull up and sometimes can feel the heat coming off the engine when i get out. I've done a few long runs in her before (200miles or so) and never had any problems with overheating, just its something that's always been at the back of my mind as not being right

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Pete

Sounds like you have a low temperature water thermostat. I have (along with a 16 row thermostatic plated mocal) and mine does the same thing. Biggest issue really is the oil isn't getting hot enough, and if anything will be too viscous.

Mines a heavily tuned G60, and next time the water pump gets opened up I'm going back to a standard stat - I think it's over kill really, unless it's a track day car.