m4ttj4mes

KR cambelt cover... hidden bolts?

hi guys,

sorry for asking, i feel a bit silly as im rebuilding my engine but something as minor as the timing belt cover is puzzling me! its the lower half covering the crank pulley and ive undone what i can see is all the 10mm bolts (one nearest the rear of the engine, one in the middle of it [obvious one] and one nearest the fron of the engine) but i cant seem to manouvre the cover away from the block - engine is still in the car if thats any different, but surely i dont have remove the aux. pulleys and such? belts are all off obviously but i bet the pulleys dont want to come off haha! help appreciated guys :bonk:

4 allen bolts, no need to undo the big crank bolt, but sometimes the outer pulley is a bit siezed onto to innner cambelt pulley and looks as if it is one piece, it's not and lots of people take the main crank pulley off by mistake, you then run the risk of the crank pulley bolt undoing itself if reused as I think the original one is a stretch bolt, just a word of warning :)

Sweet! Thanks again david, I'll get the four allen bots off and *gently* smack the crap out of the pulleys till they part!

here you go, careful with the pulley though as it has the integral rubber vibration damper and the whole pulley is expensive to replace:

couldnt help more if you tried! so from the picture, by removing x4 allen bolts (10 on the diagram), pulleys (9) + (7) should come away then leaving (4) in place as long as i dont touch (11) ?? and then its a case of just watching out for any rubber bits in between...? thanks for your time pal

also, whats the best way to stop everything turning (its now just the block sitting there with box and shafts going into bare hubs) so i assume putting it in gear wont really work as its all off the floor? thanks! :thumbleft:

any advice guys for getting the 4 allen bolts out? onlyhad time for a quick go but they look like the've been in for a while!!

any advice guys for getting the 4 allen bolts out? onlyhad time for a quick go but they look like the've been in for a while!!

Put the allen socket in the bolt and a extension on the socket and hammer it until you cant handle the hammer anymore. Then use a good long ratchet and it should crack open

For locking the engine.... Hold it with a socket and a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt, or use a crowbar or a strong flat screwdriver on the flywheel trough one of the holes