VR6Pete

Replacing Front Sub Frame

Can testify much of the same from my local TPS [Milton Keynes]...

[ATTACH]72682[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]72683[/ATTACH]

Few other useful VR6 P/N's on there too like Main Crank Seal Kit

All worth it in the end...

can you tell me what size are the arb clamp bolts are? {if its easy to see the sizes on the receipt if not no worrys } thanks..

edit blady hell! just seen them! realy need to open my eyes!!! admin please remove this post lol

ga6e9usy.jpg

Christmas has come early! Lots of bits. Took engine out today!

Any advise on removing sub frame bolts? Pretty scared at the thought they will snap?

I had my car up in the air and would spray them every so often with plusgas/WD40, i probably did it 6 times in all, over a few weeks before i got round to taking it off.

Don't know if it helped or did anything, but when i came to undo them they all came out fine, i just used a 2ft bar (to make up for my puny arms) and a socket. Think i remember having to use my foot against the car somewhere as i started off just pulling myself along the ground towards the bolt i was trying to undo :lol:

---------- Post added at 9:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:30 AM ----------

I had my car up in the air and would spray them every so often with plusgas/WD40, i probably did it 6 times in all, over a few weeks before i got round to taking it off.

Don't know if it helped or did anything, but when i came to undo them they all came out fine, i just used a 2ft bar (to make up for my puny arms) and a socket. Think i remember having to use my foot against the car somewhere as i started off just pulling myself along the ground towards the bolt i was trying to undo :lol:

Word of advise for undoing these bolts and many others on the Corrado's.

When you're concerned about rounding/snapping/general agro...ensure you have the appropriate 6-side hex socket and not your average 12 sided jobbies.

13-17-18-19 mm Standard/Impact Sockets are always useful.

Makes all the difference when a serious amount of force is required. Breaker Bar / Scaffold Pole also.

Keep everything as square as possibly when driving them out and you should be fine.

Soaking them prior always assists in my experience.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 1:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:37 PM ----------

can you tell me what size are the arb clamp bolts are? {if its easy to see the sizes on the receipt if not no worrys } thanks..

edit blady hell! just seen them! realy need to open my eyes!!! admin please remove this post lol

I ordered the following as my ARP Clamp decided it didn't wanna part company with the bolt and snapped it in two...despite soaking ;) rustier than the hull of the titanic...

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #D7DBD3][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 50, align: center]2[/TD]

[TD]N 0195382[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #E1E1E1]hexagon head bolt c/w shoulder

M8X18 /

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

^ cheers bud, i went to change mine last year when i was doing my engine conversion and yea same thing for me, rust everywhere! + bolts were rounded off, i should of just manned up and welded something to them and did it with no engine/gearbox,

anyway allways nice to have the bolts ready :)

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Working on the car doing this is not good with a hernia!!

A tip from me is once the subframe is off, stand it up and let lots of WD40 soak into the front wishbone bolts, this will most likely be the bolt that causes you the most grief so don't rush removal and soak for a few days for best results.

Mine snapped and was a complete ballache to sort cutting it out and tapping etc :(

The main SF ones were a doddle compared to this.

I've got new wishbones to go on, and all new bolts :) so no issues

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

ive got all new wishbones and bolts so once its off, just straight to go on... the captive nut had snapped off anyway so just spins around...

But have you got the old ones off yet?

Exactly...

...fitting the new stuff is the fun, easy bit. Removal is the sweary, sweaty frustrating bit!

I don't care about the old ones. Only way they coming off is grinding the head of the bolt off as the captive nut has snapped inside the subframe.

All other bolts flew off, not had a single broken bolt. Just building up the new sub frame. Hopefully will all be done by end if the day

---------- Post added at 2:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

5amu2ude.jpg

va9ede3a.jpg

qarybysu.jpg

a6ubynu5.jpg

Started at 11am, engine ready go back in now, but going fit new clutch and gearbox before that happens.

Been an easy job so far.

Clutch, gearbox and cams in. Just about put engine back in.

My old subframe bolts were all galvanised, but the new ones from VW are not, when they came out they looked like new apart from the head which obviously was a little rusty.

Well engine went in at 4pm, left it like below as broke the pickup on the cam sprocket so need get one now before building up top end :)

8y2umequ.jpg

Not bad progress in 6 hours today.

Ahe good stuff, didnt realise you already had a new, one lined up :-)

Been collecting parts for months :)

I want it MOT in 2 weeks :) need order my cam shaft pickup and clutch slave cylinder today and the gasket sealant for the top chain cover.