col41139

Shuddering when clutch is released...

Folks, I bought a 90' G60 with over 100k. I took it to a mechanic because I had a difficult time getting the car in reverse. The mechanic worked on the transmission, and found the part that engages the reverse gear out of alignment. He cleaned the trannie put new oil and a new clutch. Now the car shudders when I released the clutch on reverse and first gear. I'm also having issues with getting it into first gear and reverse. Any thoughts? I'll appreciate any input just for my benefit and sanity check. I forgot to mention this mechanic has little or no experience with older VW models. He did repair my Acura MDX trannie before so I figure he would know what he was doing.

have a search on the forum, plenty of threads on gear selection and alignment

a common problem is a missing 'C' clip on the gearlever pivot under the gear gator, lift that up and have a look, when you lean the lever over to engage 1st/2nd/reverse the lever slips on it's pivot rather than giving full reach.

other than that, alignment of the cable ends/levers on top of the box isn't very difficult, just need a 13mm spanner.

also, did you get a new clutch friction disk only? or was the release/spring plate changed too, is the release plate spring fingers are worn or weak, then with a new thick friction disk it might be dragging.

wouldn't harm to check and bleed the clutch slave cylinder too.

Edited by davidwort

Welcome to the forum, could also be worn engine mounts or slave cylinder if the bite point is very low as it's always first and reverse that are affected first