Sign in to follow this  
delcfc

Whistling G60

I've noticed that my G60 has got a whistle when you decelerate, only when cold thou. Any ideas ?

I've got to take it to PDsport for them to take a look at it as I'm not sure if it's been rebuilt. It's done 87k.

Hm... not too sure on G60's but the development of any new wierd noises is always worth getting checked out - especially on a car like the G60!

Check the Idle screw isn't coming out, its at the back of the trottle body, mine came flying out!!! started makeing that noise!!

whistles should be thought of as Boost leaks. The Idles screw is very common to blow out. It goes in the back of the TB(towards the firewall) and when it blows out you often look back there and see a nipple that is about 3/8" in diameter and think where the hell is the hose that goes on that. well the idle screw goes inside it.

But then all of those cloth covered vacume lines tend to wear out. There are 3 vacume lines that go to the TB. 2 on the back side of the TB (firewall side) the one leads to the ECU and has to be 1 meter long make certain this one is perfect. The other small one can just be trimmed and reattached. Then there is the 3rd vacume line on the TB. Its located right under the inlet to the TB and its the largest of the vacume lines. This one can be trimmed an reattached.

If all of these are good then you should look at all of your boost pipes and connections. Another thing it could be is a tired charger. I determined my charger was tired when I elminated all possible boost leaks and still did not have my normal boost numbers (get a boost gauge) I tore apart the charger and found an apex strip was worn very thing. much longer and I would have torn up the displacer

Hmmm...when I change up anywhere above 5k RPM I get a kind of 'whoooo' noise as the engine decelerates. Its not very loud, although it is noticeable, and I guess I just assumed the engine was supposed to sound like that. Are you saying this is something I should be worried about? (Hopes not)

I ran the boost test using the MFA and got an indicated reading of 10psi which I know is a little low but I assumed that was just error in the MFA?

Unfortunately as I live in Essex there does not appear to be anywhere I can just 'pop the car in to' and have it checked out quickly. :( I'm a total learner at forced induction but I guess I will check the bits you mentioned and see if I can spot anything.

Any Idea how I can replace the Idle Screw. I think Mine just flew out. I think the old O' ring is still in there though. Do I HAVE to take that out to put the new screw in and if so, how do i go about removing the O'ring

Any Idea how I can replace the Idle Screw. I think Mine just flew out. I think the old O' ring is still in there though. Do I HAVE to take that out to put the new screw in and if so, how do i go about removing the O'ring

That happened to me. trouble is VW dont sell them, off to the breakers time for you mate

Ive got the new Idling screw but dont know how to get the old O-ring out. Firewall too close to the throttle body as you may know. Does the old O-ring HAVE to come out? And is there a bible code to put this in i.e. how tight or how much of it needs to go in. Should engine be running while new one goes in or does it not matter.

That happened to me. trouble is VW dont sell them, off to the breakers time for you mate

Yes they do - there around £6

unscrew the old one and replace it with the new one. then reset you idle when the cars up to temp

yeah but the old screw is not in there. Its popped but left the O-ring in. Any Idea how the O-ring will come out

use a small hook to pop the o ring out ...might end up taking the tb off

g60s tend to make a few wooshing noises ..the noise on a gear change is the boost return

i dont think all of this is strictly necessary as my car you can hear the whoosh on change more when cold and then when hot only does it when im quite far up the rev range!

Do change your idle screw thou if you've lost it!

Dips just make sure your not revving it and changing over 3k at cold otherwise this will damage the charger as the charger is oil dependant so like an engine is not at full operating temperature till at least 80c! as the oil when colder is thicker so it is harder to push round thus being when the car is hotter it shoots round quicker allowing the charger to work freely!

at what revs does this whoosh happen when cold?

but get down to g-werks fella and get it serviced!

Cheers Andy

Cheers Guys. Its not a Whoosh its a constant Whistle. Definitely caused by the Idle Screw. Whats the Normal Boost Meant to be be in BAR. Maximum Ive got on the motorway is +0.3. The car dont seem to be that nippy compared to my 8v GTI.