peterdinosaur

What to do with my engine bay.......please help!

I am having a debate on what to do with my engine and have three options, wondering if any had experience with them and what sort of results I can expect, I am aiming for 170bhp+ (I have a 2ltr 9a):

1. My mate has an abf head and all the injection system, so change the head to the abf head and go digital on the management. Keep any of the KR cams? (Mate doesn't have the bottom end as was cracked)

2. Find an abf and change to that.

3. Keep the 9a and mod to get the power. New cylinders and other things involved and replace bits which are worn.

4. Engine out and a 20v turbo put in.

Obviously the cost of the first three are cheapest and the last is a big job! I would ideally want this to be a week/fortnight job so I don't give up on it either.......

Personally the first option is looking promising if it is relatively easy and does make a difference, but doesn't seem like many people do it (guessing it is a little bit of a wierd thing to do).

Any opinions/experiance would be great!! Thanks Peter

1. If you have a late corrado it'll be the ABF head anyway so the swap will be pointless.

2. If you're going to modifify the engine swapping to an abf won't be any massive benefit. You might as well just port the head and get after market cams.

3. That's what I'm doing except I'm going with suzuki TBs, high comp pistons, saab injectors, rebore, huge cams, standalone management etc etc etc. Don't fool yourself thinking this is a cheap option. I'm a hell of a lot of money through mine and I'm only half way. I haven't even counted yet. £1000 disappeared within a very very short space of time though.

4. Not the most difficult swap in the world but very time consuming. However, a well turbo'd 9a would crap all over a 1.8T.

Thanks for your response, seems like the budget option not looking too good. I was looking into making the management digital to remove the k-jet, and don't no whether the stuff off the abf would fit on the 9a with the inlet and throttle body off the abf? Since I use the car reasonably regularly I wouldn't want a too involved project, but something definatly needs doing, even if it is just a refres