Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

fuel filter

whats involved in changing the underside one on a h reg 1.8 kr corrado, and does the petrol tank need to be empty when doing this? thanks Bobby

its dead simple. the filter costs about £6 from euro car parts.

you will need to pinch the fuel pipe coming from the tank closed with some mole grips or a small hand vice. be carefull to protect the rubber pipe from sharp metal edges with some padding. i found it easier to undo the whole mounting plate from the underside of the car (two 12/13mm nuts) then take the filter and mounting plate to a workbench to wd40 the clamp loose. make sure you have something to catch the 1/2 pint of fuel that will pour from the engine side of the filter and the filters contents.

fitting is the reversal but make sure you fit the filter the right way, it will have an arrow on it.

it may take a few seconds of cranking the engine to prime the pipes with fuel again.

you may find that like on mine (150,000 miles) it made absolutely no difference, but its nice to show the c some love every now and again. :)

the filter costs about £6 from euro car parts

Mine cost £25 from GSF :shock: You sure you got the right one :?: :!:

Dead easy though, I didn't actually clamp the pipe shut - you get a bit of bribbling fuel then it stops.

The clamping bolt was a biatch to get to on mine (it's above the filter) that's the only bit you might struggle with.

I'd also recomend getting a bright lamp for seeing what your doing - the radiated heat make the fuel pipes less brittle, as they can be prone to shattering.

If the fuel pump buzz sounds a lot sharper and cleaner when you turn the ignition, then you'll know the old filter was snarled up big time. So worth doing for peace of mind.

Mine cost £25 from GSF You sure you got the right one

GSF are getting worse by the day, I have noticed several parts they charge more than VW for and there not even genuine!

I´ve got a Bosch fuel filter, Bosch auto-parts are not that expensive as people think (here in Portugal).

So why go for other brands? Your car runs like VW because of the his quality parts. That´s what makes the difference!

The fuel filter is easy to change, watch out for the fuel spray in your face! It will leak some fuel from the hoses, not much from the fuel tank 8)