gti gadge

Talk some sense into me................

Right, been offered a mk2 that I just didn't think would ever get up for sale. The guy knows my back is spanner'd and all car work is on hold (mk2g60 conversion) until at least mid next year. Awesome I hear (a muffled few cry out) but the truth of it is that with all the time off work I have had to have money is close, well tight lol....

Out of nowhere the previous owner of my Rado is looking for it again with a view to buying it. I wasn't that keen on letting it go tbh as I have it almost where I want it barr a little paint (G60 nugget so a touch thin in places due to too much loving). Car owes me nothing and is superb to drive plus the interior is just what I was after. Crazy I know but I have started talks on selling it..............Guy is a good bloke and will look after the car but I am having separation/anxiety issues ;)

Am i going mental or something??

Need help!

hmmm... depends. I've got a MK2 and a Corrado at the moment. I think the Corrado is a better car all day long in terms of speed, handling, ride, comfort, looks and exclusivity but it's also more expensive to keep on the road, and it's got to the point where I want to keep it as a special treat.

The MK2 is my daily.. rugged, reliable (ish!), still turns heads, fun to drive, cheap to run and insure and cheap to fix, but best of all because it was cheap I'm not too worried about it getting damaged.

Your situation is a bit different - the MK2 is higher (actually quite a high driving position compared to many cars) so easier to get in and out of.. you'll probably get the chance to enjoy it more.

If they're both going to be weekend cars, then you need to decide which weekend car you'd rather have long term after your back is better.

Snap out of it fool!

Seriously though... i've never driven a Mk2, but have always liked them and can see the appeal. But its ultimately going to be down to what you want from the car. As Tony said if its a weekend only car then would you get that special feeling when you, after a week of driving a boremobile, get back behind the wheel of said car and get a smile on your face. we KNOW the Corrado WILL do that, but will the mk2?

You've said yourself the COrrado owes you nothing and its superb, along with the interior. So will you regret it if you do sell it for the MK2. You may not find out until you did it, but i hear so many times something along the lines of "i regret selling the Corrado". If you're unsure enough to ask others then id say "if in doubt, dont"

If you do regret it, you'd have to start the adventure of getting another Corrado, one with its own faults etc

You know me dude, mad about Mk2s, had four in a row off the bounce. Now sold up and bought a Corrado.

In all seriousness unless it was big power, big grin factor Mk2... or uber poverty spec belly scraping old-school early Mk2, I don't know if I could go back to one after the Corrado? As much as I love them, to me, at the moment atleast, I can't really think of a single aspect the Mk2 does better other than old school cool. That's not to say I don't love them or would never have another, but unless it was a really special one then I couldn't see myself trading up for one. For me, my goal is to have one ASWELL as the Corrado just for a totally different experience.

I've been having mk2 thoughts again, even though I've had 3 mk2 gti's over a 10 year period. I would only want to go a Rallye, original G60 or pristine 16v. There is something about them being fun. My mrs still prefers my old mk2 to the Rado.

BirthdayDrivingDayGolf015.jpg

Thanks guys, all great input and the cogs are now whirling around in my head like crazy!! I just remember posting up for MOOK to get a rado as even though he is also a mk2 guy and that he would love it, and guess what, he does. The mk2 in question is just a touch different and with some work could be the mk2 I have always wanted to own. Good colour, good mods and over the top engine. Perfect for what I want out of the car BUT is this just because I do not have it in me to turn all the parts I have in the garage at the minute into my own version of that car?? This is what is doing my head in, I wanted to build it, not tweak one already done but the back laid way to those plans!

Seems a crazy thread to post up, especially for me as I'm not usually so soft in the head. Sometimes it just helps to talk to like minded guys about stuff rather than the would be financial advisors I seem to have beside me LOL................

I do miss my mk2 16v and whenever I see one with those lovely trim headlights my heart skips a best. But imho the Corrado is more exclusive (unless we're talking.g about rallyes etc).

But go with what your heart says. You're a long time dead so if you want the mk2 then go for it.

I`d have a mint mk2 valver over a rado any day, it`s one of the only vw`s i`d be happy leaving standard.